We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Edinburgh

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, CA
reviews: 7
Where to stay in Edinburgh

We are a couple with a 4 year old spending two nights in Edinburgh in May. I'm having difficulty deciding between staying on Prince Street vs Royal Mile. On Princes I'm getting a place with a good view to the castle. Royal Mile i've read has a more medieval atmosphere. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I also read Princes street had a lot of roadwork going on but maybe that was last year.

Another related question is around transport and car rental. After Edinburgh we will be renting a car and visiting the highlands for 3 days. Originally I was planning to pick up from Waverley but have changed my mind and will pick up from the airport to avoid driving through the city centre. Whats the best way to and from the airport...should we cab it.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
reviews: 18
1. Re: Where to stay in Edinburgh

Get the airport bus from Waverley Bridge outside the Waverley Railway Station.

Princes Street is 5 minutes walk from the Royal Mile so pick the hotel with the best deal in either location

scotland
reviews: 3
2. Re: Where to stay in Edinburgh

We have just returned from a short stay at a new hotel - Motel One in Edinburgh, we found the location ideal, it was very central equal distance, between Princes St and the Royal Mile and only a couple of minutes from Waverely Station if you did want to collect a rental car from there.

Edited: 4:31 pm, March 04, 2013
Scotland
reviews: 3
3. Re: Where to stay in Edinburgh

Princes Street and Royal Mile are both great locations, if you send me a link to the 2 apartments I can give you a more detailed reply. Many thanks.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
reviews: 198
4. Re: Where to stay in Edinburgh

If you want to be right in the heart of the most historic (and touristy) part of town - choose the Royal Mile. As said above, they are close to each other so you wont have a problem getting to main sights from either there or Princes St.

Also agree bus to airport from Waverley bridge cheapest way to get there and is convenient for your location.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 295
5. Re: Where to stay in Edinburgh

We stayed at the Raddison on the Royal Mile and thought it was just about ideal in terms of a location. The hotel itself is pretty nice also and you could get a AAA discount. We just called the Radisson "800" number in the US to reserve.

After our stay in Edinburgh, we returned to the airport to pick up a rental car. I am not exactly sure why we picked the airport (in was in 2008), but I think we were told that this would be the best spot from which to tackle the driving on the funky side of the road for the very first time. :-)

6. Re: Where to stay in Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:37 pm, March 07, 2013
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 125
7. Re: Where to stay in Edinburgh

We stayed at the "George" and loved it, on George street a few minutes walk to Princess street and a good option of restaurants nearby but really any hotel near Princess street or the Royal mile would be a good optio so go for the best deal.

San Francisco, CA
reviews: 7
8. Re: Where to stay in Edinburgh

Thanks everyone. We ended up booking motel one (also suggested above). Its right next to Waverley and equidistant from Princes St and the Royal Mile so should work perfectly.

9. Re: Where to stay in Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 30, 2014