We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh on my own?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Swindon, United...
reviews: 71
Edinburgh on my own?

Looking for advice on nice things to do in Edinburgh whilst solo! Before you feel too sorry for me, my boyfriend will be working at the University for a week so I have tagged along- but will have to amuse myself for most of the time while he's working!

I've never been to Edinburgh so am happy to do the touristy stuff, but am also equally happy to go wandering around any interesting areas, as long as it's somewhere safe to be on my own! Other pointers-

I want to avoid acitivities that will make me feel silly being solo- ie guided tours!

Love shopping, but can visit chain stores anywhere so any tips on unusual shopping areas?

I don't have a car, but happy to get on a bus.

Lastly, I am visiting 20-25th March :)

Any advice much appreciated!

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 74
1. Re: Edinburgh on my own?

Edinburgh is a safe place, and public transport is good, and the centre is compact making walking the obvious way to go between venues.

Yes, Edinburgh has its share of shopping malls and big stores.

You could visit Jenners on Princes street which still looks like an old-fashioned store even if it belongs to the Frazers group; there are also a few upmarket shops on Multrees walk off St Andrews Square. Harvey Nicks and Vuitton.

A good place for non-chain shopping might be Stockbridge - a real mix of smaller shops and cafes/restaurants. There are other areas, and I hate shopping so I'll let others mention places they like!

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 29
2. Re: Edinburgh on my own?

For great independent shops and restaurants try the West End area- good guide here http://www.westendvillage.org/shopping-guide

Edinburgh
3. Re: Edinburgh on my own?

I hate shopping too (except for food and beer) but Stockbridge has some interesting shops and lots of charity shops (and a good market on Sundays); Edinburgh Farmers Market on Saturdays is interesting (Castle Terrace, city centre); Grassmarket and Victoria street have lots of independent shops (in fact I don't think there is one single chain shop in Grassmarket or Victoria street). The Royal Mile is full of tartan tat shops and places selling sickly sweet fudge, but one exception is the excellent Cranachan and Crowdie on Canongate: http://www.cranachanandcrowdie.com/ which sells only Scottish made food and drink, almost all from small producers.

Don't let being on your own stop you from doing anything - the only things I would feel self conscious about doing on my own would be going to a restaurant in the evening or to a pub on a Friday / Sat evening. But I would happily do these things (and anything else) during the day on my own - I don't really care what other people think.

You can spend lots of time at any of the following places -

Arthur's Seat/Holyrood Park (great views of Edinburgh)

Camera Obscura

National Museum of Scotland (free)

Or just wandering around the city - anywhere in the centre is safe during the day. Or take a day trip to somewhere - Stirling (visit the Castle), Linlithgow, North Berwick etc.

Edited: 10:12 am, March 03, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 603
4. Re: Edinburgh on my own?

lots of great museums in the city, the main one in Chamber street could keep you busy for a month but I love the Peoples story and the Edinburgh museum on the Cannongate part of the Royal mile, these museums are all free entry and the later 2 are quite small the buildings alone are worth going in to see.

You could do a self guded tour of the University some really lovely buildings and courtyeards.

ed.ac.uk/studying/…self-guided

I will also say a visit to Stockbridge, it is a lovely part of the city and where i was born,i would move back there tomorrow if i could afford it..

Peterhead, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
reviews: 59
5. Re: Edinburgh on my own?

Go to Harvey Nicks and have lunch in their restaurant. Around Harvey's are lots of designer shops such has Mulberry so look around them. Jenners is a lovely old shop and worth a look.

There is a huge outlet village in Livingston about 30 minutes from Edinburgh so you could get the bus out there.

mcarthurglen.com/uk/…

Swindon, United...
reviews: 71
6. Re: Edinburgh on my own?

Thanks for the replies! Lots of good shopping tips there, I'll definatley have to check out those areas for some nice gifts to bring back.

Also the museams are a very good idea as I won't feel self concious walking round them by myself! I'm glad to know it's safe as well.

Grantown-on-Spey...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
reviews: 112
7. Re: Edinburgh on my own?

You will feel perfectly safe in Edinburgh and you certainly will not stick out like a sore thumb - there are loads of single travellers. Its a beautfiul city - have a great time

W x

Grantown-on-Spey...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
reviews: 112
8. Re: Edinburgh on my own?

PS If you like Indian food try Rivage on Easter Road - its excellent and its BYOB AND free corkage! What more can I say?

W x

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 70
9. Re: Edinburgh on my own?

For other interesting shops, you can spend time wandering around the Morningside and Bruntsfield areas (Bruntsfield is adjacent to Morningside). So many lovely independant quirky shops and also a fair few coffee/chocolate/cake shops - yummy!

California
reviews: 3
10. Re: Edinburgh on my own?

Exploring Edinburgh on your own is a luxury and perfectly safe. Take the HOHO bus to see the highlights of the city and get from one area to another. My favorite activity in Edinburgh is to walk the Royal Mile. There are all sorts of interesting things to see and do.