We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh-UK travel questions

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 2
Edinburgh-UK travel questions

We are planning a trip to the UK for mid to late June. I have a conference in Cork at end of June so the idea is that the three of us would fly to London in mid June, travel to a few sites-- most important of which is Edinburgh-- take a ferry over to Belfast (where friends live) and spend a couple of days there, and then my family would fly home from Dublin while I'd head down to Cork, then back up to Dublin to fly home too.

Allowing two days eaten up by travel to the UK and back to the USA, we have ten days for the pre-conference, pre-Cork trip, but including 2 days in Belfast. So I guess that makes 8 days in the UK mainland, and 2 days in UK-Northern Ireland.

In the pre-Ireland leg, we (parents) want to see Edinburgh and possibly the Lake District, or visit key Roman sites. Our son (13 years) wants London, Edinburgh, Stonehenge. We have to end up at the ferry at the western Scottish port.

How on earth should we map this out? Can we take trains among all the cities and sites? Can we take a train from Edinburgh to Belfast with ferry? I saw one forum where someone suggested that as a possibility but it apparently would use up a day of travel.

If we're heading up to Edinburgh, is there something along the coast we absolutely should not miss? Some gorgeous castle or fantastic port town, etc.?

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Thank you so much for your suggestions, in advance!!

Stowmarket, United...
reviews: 18
1. Re: Edinburgh-UK travel questions

Google York, it is usually on most tourists must see list.

Glasgow
reviews: 1
2. Re: Edinburgh-UK travel questions

Thttp://www.citylink.co.uk/timetables/Winter12/Belfast.pdf

There are buses from Edinburgh to Belfast but it is a long journey.

The obvious way would be to fly.

See Scottish Citylink site.

Edited: 1:55 pm, March 02, 2013
Glasgow
reviews: 1
3. Re: Edinburgh-UK travel questions

To fly Edinburgh-Belfast see Flybe and easyjet sites.

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 74
4. Re: Edinburgh-UK travel questions

If you're heading from *central* London to Edinburgh then the easiest way to travel is by train - and by a short head. Kings Cross to Central Edinburgh takes 4 1/2 hours and that's about what a flight is by the time you get to the airport, wait, then get into Edinburgh. And with the right ticketing, you can stop at York.

If you're doing it by car, the M40/M6 route up the west coast is faster than the M1 route up the east coast, and brings the Lake District within reach.

Stonehenge needs to be dealt with separately from London, being well south of the Thames corridor heading west. Probably a day out from your London stay. Possible to do it then swing north towards Edinburgh but that likely means some cross-country travel to get on to motorways, and two days getting to Edinburgh.

You could travel from Edinburgh to one ot two locations for a ferry, like Cairnryan - by train this takes 4 1/2 hours to Stranraer and then a bus or taxi. (and a change of station and train in Glasgow). Then there's the crossing and a further journey to Belfast or other destinations. I've got a few Irish friends and they usually fly in preference to land/water routes.

Your car hire company won;t be keen on you taking it from Scotland to Belfast, and even less keen if you take it to Dublin - if you read the small print. A Belfast-DUblin-Cork car hire may be possible but you'd have to ask because hires usualy forbid you taking the car over an international border.

Overall, I think the best option is to do your London/other England/Edinburgh legs then fly to Belfast.

Re places to visit like castles - http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ has some pretty good listings, divided into regions.

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 74
5. Re: Edinburgh-UK travel questions

PS train fares for June will look expensive right now. The cheap options come online 12 weeks in advance, then sell out over time. Therefore expect many more price options to become available near the end of March. You can sign up for notifications on http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/

The very cheapest tickets will come in at approx adult £20 Lon-Edi, but they're tied to a particular train. No problem if you've been in LOndon for a few days beforehand.

There are also family tickets that will give further savings, usually aimed at a family of four. Not sure if there will be any advantage if you are just three.

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 2
6. Re: Edinburgh-UK travel questions

Excellent advice-- and thank you so much for taking the time for it.

7. Re: Edinburgh-UK travel questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 04, 2014