We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Edinburgh - itinerary suggestions?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver Island...
1 post
1 review
Driving from Edinburgh - itinerary suggestions?

I will be in Edinburgh with my 2 boys in the third week of March and have 2 days to get up into the Highlands. I have rented a car and am looking to leave Edinburgh early in the morning, hit Stirling Castle, Glen Coe and stay overnight in Fort William.

If we have enough time I would like to get them out to Eilean Donan Castle but could drop this if roads not great or we spend too much time elsewhere.

My question is, should l make the circle route and come back through Pitlochry, which is longer, or go back the same way? Is it worth it? What stops/sights might I include?

Please don't tell me that 2 days is not enough because I know that I could easily spend longer but it is as it is! This is the time I have and I want to give my boys a taste of the Highlands in the hopes that we will return some day.

As far as driving times, I am Canadian and we routinely do driving trips that involve days of up to 13 hrs driving so I am not bothered about several hours in the car. I am mostly looking for suggestions about the route and whether to double back or return by a different road.

Thanks so much,

Louise

cambs
Level Contributor
471 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Driving from Edinburgh - itinerary suggestions?

while the road down thru pitlochry is pretty scenic it is a main road and NOT scotland at its best

with two days from edinburgh id do something like

day 1

cross forth road bridge then had west for lochearnhead, crianlarich glencoe and ballachulish overnight around ballachulish or on to oban

day 2

continue past oban, briefly to seilisland then via lochgilphead to inverarey

then across the rest-and-be-thankful and on to loch lomond

drive down west bank of loch lomond then pick up main roads back to edinburgh thru glasgow

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
2. Re: Driving from Edinburgh - itinerary suggestions?

A variation on the above, but more driving.

Edinburgh - Stirling - Callander - Trossachs - S End of Loch Lomond - Inveraray - Kilmartin - Oban

Oban - Ballachulish - Glencoe - Fort William - Spean Bridge - Dalwhinnie - Aviemore - Grantown-on-Spey - Tomintoul - Ballater - Braemar - Blairgowrie - Dunkeld - Perth - Edinburgh

Two longer days based on the assumption you really mean it when you say you don't mind driving.

However 3rd week in March daylight is 7 am to 7 pm as opposed to June when it's dark about 11 pm. And most tourists destinations will close by 5 pm or earlier.

I recommend you use http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ to work out destinations worth visiting, and http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp to work out routes and timings so you can better judge what's reasonable.

3. Re: Driving from Edinburgh - itinerary suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 04, 2014