We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Edinburgh - itinerary suggestions?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver Island...
Driving from Edinburgh - itinerary suggestions?

I will be in Edinburgh with my 2 boys in the third week of March and have 2 days to get up into the Highlands. I have rented a car and am looking to leave Edinburgh early in the morning, hit Stirling Castle, Glen Coe and stay overnight in Fort William.

If we have enough time I would like to get them out to Eilean Donan Castle but could drop this if roads not great or we spend too much time elsewhere.

My question is, should l make the circle route and come back through Pitlochry, which is longer, or go back the same way? Is it worth it? What stops/sights might I include?

Please don't tell me that 2 days is not enough because I know that I could easily spend longer but it is as it is! This is the time I have and I want to give my boys a taste of the Highlands in the hopes that we will return some day.

As far as driving times, I am Canadian and we routinely do driving trips that involve days of up to 13 hrs driving so I am not bothered about several hours in the car. I am mostly looking for suggestions about the route and whether to double back or return by a different road.

Thanks so much,

Louise

cambs
reviews: 66
1. Re: Driving from Edinburgh - itinerary suggestions?

while the road down thru pitlochry is pretty scenic it is a main road and NOT scotland at its best

with two days from edinburgh id do something like

day 1

cross forth road bridge then had west for lochearnhead, crianlarich glencoe and ballachulish overnight around ballachulish or on to oban

day 2

continue past oban, briefly to seilisland then via lochgilphead to inverarey

then across the rest-and-be-thankful and on to loch lomond

drive down west bank of loch lomond then pick up main roads back to edinburgh thru glasgow

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 75
2. Re: Driving from Edinburgh - itinerary suggestions?

A variation on the above, but more driving.

Edinburgh - Stirling - Callander - Trossachs - S End of Loch Lomond - Inveraray - Kilmartin - Oban

Oban - Ballachulish - Glencoe - Fort William - Spean Bridge - Dalwhinnie - Aviemore - Grantown-on-Spey - Tomintoul - Ballater - Braemar - Blairgowrie - Dunkeld - Perth - Edinburgh

Two longer days based on the assumption you really mean it when you say you don't mind driving.

However 3rd week in March daylight is 7 am to 7 pm as opposed to June when it's dark about 11 pm. And most tourists destinations will close by 5 pm or earlier.

I recommend you use http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ to work out destinations worth visiting, and http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp to work out routes and timings so you can better judge what's reasonable.

3. Re: Driving from Edinburgh - itinerary suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 04, 2014