We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip Details

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
reviews: 21
Road Trip Details

After pouring over these forums for 6 weeks, I have a basic plan...just need help with fine tuning. Leaving for the UK next week, arriving in Edinburg by train from London. We have 4 nights in Scotland (not enough, I know) Route; Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Glencoe, flying out of Glasgow 6 pm day 5. Hiring a car in Edinburgh on the way out of town- Dropping Glasgow airport.

Goals enroute; 2 castles, 2 distilleries, 1 hike, magnificent scenery, local flavor. Very comfortable driving, but don't want to push so hard that we miss the beauty in the details.

1) 2 nights in Edinburgh?

2) Coastal route to St. Andrew's?

3) St. Andrew's to Glencoe thru Perth? Or Stirling/Callander?

4) Overnight in St. Andrew's? Glencoe? Oban?

5) Castle/distillery suggestions along the way?

6 Route down to Glasgow?

Thank you so much for your time. This kind of advice is invaluable and has made all the difference in the past when I travel. Hope I can help with California details someday :)

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 57
1. Re: Road Trip Details

Yes.

Yes.

Callander

Yes

Doune Castle

via Inverary and Loch Lomond.

Sacramento...
2. Re: Road Trip Details

Thank you. 2nd Castle/Stirling? Hike? Distilleries?

2 nights in Edinburgh... given the driving times and sights to see, where would the next 2 nights be best spent? The drive down to Glasgow looks like it curves and twists around the lochs...must be scenic. Is it a difficult drive? Any must see stops?

Edinburgh...
reviews: 87
3. Re: Road Trip Details

Near Doune: Scottish Antiques Centre; Argaty Red Kite centre (arrive before 3 2 pm the usual feeding time)

Beyond Callander you head into the hills. Opportunities for hikes along the waterfalls and tumbling river at Braes o' Leny; or anything from a lochside walk at Loch Lubnaig to a half day climb up Ben Ledi, depending on the fitness/willingness of the party ...

Returning Southwards by Inverary and by Loch Lomond. You read it right. Actually it's even better than 'twisty roads' might indicate. Also stop at Kilmartin.

Edinburgh...
4. Re: Road Trip Details

http://www.trossachs.co.uk/deanston.php for distilleries roughly in the Stirling direction

You can tell me all about the easiest way to get signed up for Yosemite ...

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
reviews: 18
5. Re: Road Trip Details

4) Stay in Glencoe area for the scenery.

5) Blair Castle & Edradour distillery

Yosemite is on my list too (Derek - sent you a pm)

Grantown-on-Spey...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, St. Andrews
reviews: 132
6. Re: Road Trip Details

If you have been pouring over the forums then you are probably already aware of these two websites which are great for walks in any area you visit as well as pointing you in the direction of other things to see and do... and they also have accommodation details too

www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/index.html

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/

We are obviously getting the message through about "you don't have enough time" - had to laugh at that one - but its true and I'm glad you have realised it.

Scotland = 30,000 square miles

California = 163,000 square miles

(Can that be correct??)

No wonder you guys try and fit it all into one week!!!

Have a great trip

Woody x

Sacramento...
7. Re: Road Trip Details

Yes... when we see the size of Scotland, it seems totally doable in a week! People in CA drive an hour and a half one way just to get to work! I guess it's as silly as people who want to see all the sights in CA in one trip. Impossible. You would need a month. Thanks for the suggestions and the wisdom :) ...looking so forward to this trip.

As for Yosemite...happy to help. But I'm not sure what you mean by "getting signed up" Do you mean for a camping spot in the Valley? Hotels are easy. I think only camping is tough. You have to get on the phone at 7 AM Pacific Time (and keep dialing until you get through) on the very first day/minute possible.Yosemite camping reservations are released one month at a time, five months in advance, on the 15th of each month. We usually pick one person from our group each year to suffer through the process for the rest of us!

Edinburgh...
8. Re: Road Trip Details

Yup I was think of camping and crag hopping rather than hotels. One of a few places on my mountaineering hit list! I can see why they want to make people phone, but it's a pain when you live abroad!

9. Re: Road Trip Details

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 06, 2014