We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kismot versus The Spice Pavillion

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, United...
reviews: 90
Kismot versus The Spice Pavillion

Anyone been to both? which would you reccommned?

Kismot always in top 5 of restaurants, and has nearly 900 reviews (way way more than any other restaurant on here)

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 81
1. Re: Kismot versus The Spice Pavillion

One vote for Kismot. But (partly because I live nearby, therefore use it occasionally, and it's good) consider Mithas in Dock Place, Leith.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 217
2. Re: Kismot versus The Spice Pavillion

Another vote for kismot. It's a little different than your average Indian. The killer hot curries, freshly made flavoured naans and amazing mango lassi. Yum yum yum. Akbar is a great host. Enjoy!

Abs :)

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 76
3. Re: Kismot versus The Spice Pavillion

Only been to The Spice Pavilion, but I'm going to throw Kushis (opposite the Playhouse) into the mix, absolutely superb

Gifford, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
reviews: 115
4. Re: Kismot versus The Spice Pavillion

Been to both and Spice Pavillion did not even merit writing a review. whereas going to Kismot will not only give you great food it will also give you a good laugh., Just beware of Akbars 'Man Hugs' if you have a bad back LOL

Durham, United...
5. Re: Kismot versus The Spice Pavillion

well clearly we have a winner, not sure why but seemed suspicious about Kismot - clearly its not hype, will book for next Sat (and my weekend in May, and the festival, and my dirthday in October haha you get the picture), man I love Edinburgh

Edinburgh, Scotland
reviews: 48
6. Re: Kismot versus The Spice Pavillion

I disagree about the Kismot and would go for the Spice Pavilion.

I have eaten at the Kismot twice and is nothing special IMO and I can't believe how many reviews it has on TA. Always deemed suspicious to me and if anyone leaves a negative review, they're always on there to defend it with some 'excuse'.

It is BYOB which will save you money if you're drinking, but otherwise expensive for quality delivered.

I asked for napkin there once to clean my hands after eating a sticky nan and was given a paper one with no water. Not much use. It caters for the student crowd who love the BYOB aspect.

Spice Pavilion has a wonderful menu and friendly staff (the female front of house is Italian, wife of the Indian owner) and is a short stroll from George Street.

There are not many locals who eat at Kismot as its too gimmicky, but you will find the Spice Pavilion full of regulars which speaks volumes.

Gifford, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
reviews: 115
7. Re: Kismot versus The Spice Pavillion

I would not consider myself 'the Student Crowd' as like many other regulars I have a 'Bus Pass' and as for 'Not many regulars eat there' I don't think you can make that assumption on only two visits and for your information a great many locals do eat there on a regular basis, where as I make a regular 30 mile trip to enjoy really good food & good company.

Edited: 6:42 pm, March 03, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
8. Re: Kismot versus The Spice Pavillion

"There are not many locals who eat at Kismot "

Don't know where you get this from. I think most of my Edinburgh friends have been there one time or another.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 217
9. Re: Kismot versus The Spice Pavillion

I've eaten at Kismot 5 or 6 times, as a student and as a definitely-not student!

Abs :)

Durham, United...
10. Re: Kismot versus The Spice Pavillion

Went to Kismot on Friday night and it was excellent