We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into Edinburgh via Dublin

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Donnellson, Iowa
reviews: 3
Flying into Edinburgh via Dublin

If I fly Aer Lingus from Chicago to Edinburgh via Dublin, how much time do I need between flights in Dublin? Not sure if we will have to go through customs in Dublin. Is 1 hr enough time in between flights? If not, how much time do I need?

Thanks

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 74
1. Re: Flying into Edinburgh via Dublin

You may well be lucky in finding someone who has done that leg; but to maximise your chances I'd recommend you post this also on the Eire/Dublin forum.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g186605-i90-Dubl…

Good luck with your quest. Sorry I can't answer it personally.

Donnellson, Iowa
2. Re: Flying into Edinburgh via Dublin

Derek

Thanks. I posted on Dublin forum.

Do you know about flying home? We will be leaving London and flying to Chicago via Dublin.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
3. Re: Flying into Edinburgh via Dublin

You pass through immigration checks at Dublin as the UK and Ireland are part of the Common Travel Area. You pass through Customs at Edinburgh.

On the return you will probably do pre-clearance at Dublin so when you get off the plane in the US you just walk out the airport.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 29
4. Re: Flying into Edinburgh via Dublin

One hour is nowhere near enough- you may have to change terminal and queues at immigration can be 20 minutes long.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
5. Re: Flying into Edinburgh via Dublin

There seems to only be one flight per day from Chicago to Dublin. That gets to Dublin at 0900. There's only three Aer Lingus flights per day to EDI - 0640, 1305 & 1810 (some days there is also a flight at 1530) so where are you getting a flight one hour after the Chicago flight gets in?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
6. Re: Flying into Edinburgh via Dublin

There's a flight arriving at 05:15, leaving 06:40 from April onwards

Donnellson, Iowa
7. Re: Flying into Edinburgh via Dublin

Alanrow is correct. The flight I was looking at was with Aer Lingus. Looks like I need to plan on the 10 am flight from Dublin to Edinburgh rather than the 6:40 flight. Thanks for all the help.

Donnellson, Iowa
8. Re: Flying into Edinburgh via Dublin

Does the same apply coming home? We will be coming home from London to Chicago via Dublin.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
9. Re: Flying into Edinburgh via Dublin

If you mean immigration then you don't pass through immigration between UK and Ireland but you will do US preclearance at Dublin

UK
reviews: 81
10. Re: Flying into Edinburgh via Dublin

Are you booking separate tickets? Very risky if so.