We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Open

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario Canada
reviews: 50
British Open

Arriving in South Queensferry on a cruise ship and heading to Muirfield on Saturday July 20 for the Open. Should I take the train or a taxi?? How long is the trip? How much do you think it will cost? Will traffic be really bad?? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 29
1. Re: British Open

Under normal conditions it would be about a one hour drive, however traffic will be severely restricted in the East lothian area around the course. Therefore, I suggest you take the train. This will involve getting to Dalmeny station from the port at South Queensferry (about 15 minute walk) then change train at Waverley station in Edinburgh to a train for the Open. see this site for information TRAVEL BY RAIL

ScotRail has created an all-inclusive ticket to provide a convenient way to reach The Open. Called GolfLink, the ticket provides train travel to Drem plus a bus link to the course.

An enhanced rail service will be provided; for more details on how to book please go to www.scotrail.co.uk/opengolf, pick up a leaflet at staffed stations or call ScotRail on 08457 55 00 33

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 4
2. Re: British Open

The traffic will be very very busy around Muirfield. The railway station at South Queensferry is called Dalmeny. You can get a train to Edinburgh Waverley and then another train to Derm. At Drem there is a continuous shuttle service of buses to Muirfield.

Do you have to be back on the ship for a set time that evening for sailing that night? I think i might be a little worried about timing the return transport. I've found that going to The Open no matter which course it is on is not too bad as people arrive over a period of a few hours. However leaving, is more difficult as everyone leaves pretty much at the sanme time.

Edinburgh...
3. Re: British Open

Don't even think about a taxi. It's a long expensive trip and the traffic will be heavy.

You can get a train from S Queensferry to Edinburgh Waverley. From there you can get trains especially laid on for the Open to Drem.-there are many each day and you do not need to book. At Drem as part of the price of your journey you get on to a shuttle bus to Muirfield. They run continuously all day

Oops looks like we've all posted at once :-)

Edited: 8:09 am, November 25, 2012
Brookhaven...
4. Re: British Open

We will be staying in Edinburgh near Waverly Station. When can we purchase train and shuttle tickets to the Open? How can we obtain a brochure with times, prices, etc., of the above. We already have our tickets to the Open.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 44
5. Re: British Open

Robert - see post 1 for your answer.

Albuquerque
reviews: 1
6. Re: British Open

Will it be possible to get on the train at Musselburgh instead of Waverly, or will the trains fill up at Waverly & bypass the stations between there & Drem?

London, United...
7. Re: British Open

My family and I are travelling from the south of England by car to Scotland next week (17-18 July), destination Edinburgh. I'd love to drive along the Northumberland Coast entering Scotland via Berwick-upon-Tweed, but that will take us along the A1, very near to the British Open. Would coming up through Lanarkshire and approaching Edinburgh from the west be more advisable? Thank you very much for your help,

Paul Thomas

Edinburgh
reviews: 23
8. Re: British Open

Paul

I really don't see any problem coming up the A1. It might be a bit busier but I wouldn't anticipate any real queues. Most traffic will be coming from Edinburgh/the local towns. When travelling from down south back to Edinburgh I always come up the A697 road through Wooler and Coldstream-much quieter, a good road other than a wee stretch around Wooler and lovely scenery. Good spots for pub lunches on the way. The A68 over Carter Bar is scenic too but has more traffic especially lorries

London, United...
9. Re: British Open

Thank you, much appreciate your reply. We'll try what you suggest,

Paul.

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 74
10. Re: British Open

Traffic for the Open coming from the South will be directed towards car parks at North Berwick, and the A1 heading into Edinburgh will not be jam-packed with traffic.

Not sure about how many people will be heading N for the open by car; the Dunbar bypass will be the busiest point as traffic filters off onto the North Berwick roads.

If people use common sense they'll try to use the golflink trains, however I'd expect a bit of a bottleneck on roads on the East outskirts of Edinburgh, morning and evening.

And either the A68 / A697 make viable alternatives.

The A701 Moffat - Edinburgh road is a very scenic way of approaching Edinburgh from the SW, if anyone is thinking of that.