We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Tigerlily or The Scotsman Hotels

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmette,IL
The Tigerlily or The Scotsman Hotels

Looking at both hotels . Any comments on location, ambience, service? Thanks

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 29
1. Re: The Tigerlily or The Scotsman Hotels

Scotsman is just off the Royal mile which is at the historic heart of the city, near the castle. Tigerlily is in the "New Town " (1700's being "new). Scotsman is a full service hotel with spa, Tigerlily is really a boutique small hotel with the main focus on the restaurant/bar/nightclub side of the business. Generally it appeals to a younger crowd than the Scotsman. It is in the heart of the upmarket shopping area with loads of great bars/ restaurants nearby. So, it depends on which location is better for you.

Wilmette,IL
2. Re: The Tigerlily or The Scotsman Hotels

Thanks very much for your reply. I am trying to get a sense of walking distance in Edinburgh.. We love a bustling area but also like to walk to museums, interesting shops and cafes and main attractions such as the castle. I have been told Edinburgh is a good walking city. I admit to being charmed by Alex McCall Smith's Scotland Series and am pulled to New Town. How long of a walk to Old Town from Princes Street? Any other interesting hotels or B and Bs in New Town area ?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
reviews: 19
3. Re: The Tigerlily or The Scotsman Hotels

I can walk from the New Town to the Old Town in 5 minutes. Have a look at a map. Edinburgh is very compact and a great city for walking around

Scotland
reviews: 51
4. Re: The Tigerlily or The Scotsman Hotels

I really wouldn't let location sway you with regards to these 2 hotels. They are relatively close to each other and both very central. You will easily be able to walk down to new town from the Scotsman. If choosing between these /, choose which hotel suits you best. How long is your stay?

Edited: 3:51 am, November 25, 2012
Wilmette,IL
5. Re: The Tigerlily or The Scotsman Hotels

Thanks fo all the replys. We are staying 4 nights and want to make them most of it. We will have been in London for 8 nights at a flat and will relish the comfort of a good hotel. The Scotsman looks appealing because it seems to be in old school good taste. I have been to many European cities and the map distances have always deceived us a bit...Flat midwestern US towns are on a grid with no hills!We willl then have two more days before flying to see family in Dublin and are trying to come up with a plan for that. Would love some suggestions for a country house hotel we could get to by bus or train and not too far from either big airport.Also looking into short tours.Suggestions about must sees in Edinburgh appreciated! Restos too

6. Re: The Tigerlily or The Scotsman Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, December 16, 2013