We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budget / cheap food at royal mile / princess street area

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 30
budget / cheap food at royal mile / princess street area

hi,

will be staying at mercure edinburgh in late jan 13. like to check any places to dine that's budget / cheap?

1) breakfast £5 or less

2) lunch and dinner £10 or less

3) pub food with 1 pint £10 or less

travelling around uk on a tight budget so need some help.

thanks.

Edinburgh...
reviews: 87
1. Re: budget / cheap food at royal mile / princess street area

You're pushing it a bit with the prices :-)

There are a few branches of Wetherspoons and they advertise loss-leader breakfast deals, but I don't rate the quality of what they produce, having sampled it just once. Wetherspoons should of course be a stand-by other places as well, but they have a variable reputation.

Go down Leith Street, past the Playhouse Theatre, and try Taste of Italy. This is a 'diner' version of Vittoria's a well known family owned italian chain in Edinburgh. I know they do decent grub relatively cheaply.

For cheap food, try a couple of places near the foot of Leith walk:

Punjib'n De Rasoi, 122-124 Leith Walk. Indian food, but not the flock wallpaper sort of place. Run by a group of Sikh women. Small and authentic portions rather than the standard indian menu.

The Leith Walk Cafe, 128 Leith Walk. Mince and potatoes, things with chips. Transport caff style, run by a couple of fag-ash lils but actually the food's OK. Definitely not michelin starred though.

There's also a Turkish place, the Cafe Truva, on The SHore, Leith. They do breakfasts or turkish food ranging from snacks to full meals. Probably a bit more than a fiver. Reasonable main course and cake for a tenner?

Then there's the Water of Leith Cafe Bistro, Coburg Street. More than a fiver but if you compare quality v cost it excels. Closed Mondays.

If you ask around you'll get a reasonable lunch for a tenner, you will be pushing it in the evenings to hit that price. And not 3 courses.

There are loads of cafes of this sort, but probably not right in the centre of town: property/rates are too expensive.

Edited: 6:21 pm, November 23, 2012
Edinburgh
reviews: 9
2. Re: budget / cheap food at royal mile / princess street area

Again not around Princes St. , but Frankfurter Eck on Elm Row is fantastic, and cheap. Probably around £8 for main and side, and you can bring your own booze (not licensed) for no extra charge. There's a reason it's so highly rated on Tripadvisor. Booking necessary as well.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 29
3. Re: budget / cheap food at royal mile / princess street area

Have a look at www.5pm.co.uk for deals on city centre restaurants. Breakfast can be found at some shop cafes such as those in BHS and Debenhams on Princes street for a cheap price.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 227
4. Re: budget / cheap food at royal mile / princess street area

Lunch and dinner for £10? So £5 each?

That's tough. An M&S sandwich? (from Marks and Spencer's on Princes St).

I love Hendersons for bistro vegetarian food on Hanover st. Under £10 for a meal.

Abs :)

Scotland
reviews: 275
5. Re: budget / cheap food at royal mile / princess street area

The Amber Rose on the corner of Castle Street and Rose Street do many good deals including a cooked breakfast for £2.95, a classic meal and a drink for £6.95 or a burger and a drink for £7.25. These deals are available all day.

www.theamberroseedinburgh.co.uk

Howies on Waterloo Place do a lovely two course lunch for £8.95

www.howies.uk.com

Mums on Forrest Road do a soup and main course lunch Monday to Friday for £6 during the winter months.

www.monstermashcafe.co.uk

I'm sure there must be lots more good deals to be had but these are just a few that I have tried. Have a great trip.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
reviews: 64
6. Re: budget / cheap food at royal mile / princess street area

Don't think I have heard the words Budget or Cheap in the same sentence as the Royal Mile or Princess Street. Both areas hiving with tourists from all around the world, so no need for "budget" prices. Move away from these areas for cheap food, great advice given already, best to take it.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 227
7. Re: budget / cheap food at royal mile / princess street area

In sure it's just been a recurrent typo, but in an effort not to perpetuate it - It's Princes St. Not Princess St.

Abs :)

Edinburgh...
8. Re: budget / cheap food at royal mile / princess street area

I'd forgotten Frankfurter Eck. Not just Frankfurter and sauerkraut. Quite a choice of honest German food, and well repared.

england
reviews: 8
9. Re: budget / cheap food at royal mile / princess street area

frankfurters well repaired? with a puncture kit?

(Sorry). ;-)

Edinburgh...
10. Re: budget / cheap food at royal mile / princess street area

I need to find P on my keyboard. Ah there it is. :-P