We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

highland tour after Christmas--crazy idea?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Preston, United...
highland tour after Christmas--crazy idea?

I am planning a trip to Edinburgh between Christmas and New Year and would like to have some expert opinion. Thanks for any advice.

I want to take some one-day tour to the Highlands and both the following look appealing. rabbies.com/tours_scotland_edinburgh/st_andr…

timberbush-tours.co.uk/edinburgh_tours/one_d…

Is it a crazy idea to go to the Highlands at this time of year? Does it rain a lot around Christmas? Or is it better for me to visit cities only?

I pray for good weather but if bad weather conditions make coach tours impossible, can I go to places like St. Andrews, Fife, Falkland by train? Any public transportation to go to Loch Lomond?

BTW, is it common to tip tour guides and how much?

Sorry for asking so many questions. Thanks.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
1. Re: highland tour after Christmas--crazy idea?

Hi,

Do be aware that the "Highlands" cover a huge area. Fife is not in the Highlands and only a few miles north of Edinburgh. The Trossachs and Loch Lomond are 20-30 miles north of glasgow, so, beautiful as they are, its not like you are heading into the wilds of the Arctic. :-)

You can get trains to Balloch on L Lomond, and a train to Leuchars for St Andrews.

Tip if you want to. I do if the guide added to teh enjoyment of the day.

"Does it rain a lot around Christmas?" I've never noticed it raining much at Christmas....

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
2. Re: highland tour after Christmas--crazy idea?

< I've never noticed it raining much at Christmas.... >

Based on my experience of driving from Edinburgh to the NE of England on Christmas Day over the past 5 years it may be

1) Grey and damp

2) Grey and wet

3) Bright and dry

4) Bright and icy

5) Snow

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 29
3. Re: highland tour after Christmas--crazy idea?

One of your main issues will be lack of daylight hours, it will be dark from 3.30 in the afternoon and not full daylight until almost 9am so if you try to go too far away you will spend a lot of the day on the bus looking out in darkness!

4. Re: highland tour after Christmas--crazy idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, December 16, 2013