We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Edinburgh to Stonehaven

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 1
Driving from Edinburgh to Stonehaven

I am currently putting a driving route together for the drive from Edinburgh to Stonehaven for next July. My plans are to leave via the M90 to Perth and then to Dundee . From Dundee a visit to Glamis Castle and a stop at Forfar for lunch . From there come back onto the coast road at Montrose and up to Stonehaven. Does this look like a plan or are there things we may miss. Would have included St Andrews but I am sure the Open will just about be on then as we will be driving through there on the 12th July

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
1. Re: Driving from Edinburgh to Stonehaven

< Would have included St Andrews but I am sure the Open will just about be on then as we will be driving through there on the 12th July >

The Open is at Muirfield in 2013 which is about 80 miles drive from St Andrews - though only about 25 miles as the crow flies. In any case it doesn't start until July 18th.

Edited: 2:02 am, November 22, 2012
Edinburgh, Scotland
reviews: 59
2. Re: Driving from Edinburgh to Stonehaven

It might be worth clarifying that the main road from Perth to Dundee and on to Stonehaven and Aberdeen is a high-speed, limited access divided highway. You see the countryside, but from a distance.

You can plan a perfectly good route (as you seem to be doing) along older, slower roads. The road from Forfar across to Montrose you mention is fine (there are a couple of fairly sharp bands for which warnings are posted) and the coast road is a good drive. There is (or was, a year or two back when I was taking that route regularly) an outstanding fish and chip restaurant in Inverbervie.

The coast road rejoins the divided highway between Inverbervie and Stonehaven - I don't think there's an easy route that avoids a few miles on the fast road at that point.

Lennoxtown
reviews: 2
3. Re: Driving from Edinburgh to Stonehaven

On the fast road (the A90) please be aware of the speed cameras. I use this road regularly, in fact came down from Aberdeen on Sunday of this week. The number of speed cameras between Aberdeen and Dundee mean a UK resident could loose their driving license three times over. The permissible speed is well signposted especially where it drops from 70 mph to 50 mph on the approach to junctions, but it is best to be aware. The cameras don't bother me as I generally sit around 60 and drop my speed accordingly.

You are right re north of Stonehaven John. You are forced onto the A90 at the north end of Stonehaven and junctions feed off of the main road for Portlethen, Cove (Aberdeen Harbour), etc.

The Bervie Chipper is indeed alive and well John. In fact I think they have expanded. Do you recall the unit which was run by Little Chef southbound on the A90, it is now called the Bervie Chipper and like the original does takeaway/sit-in. Haven't tried it out but I guess it will be the same quality as the original in Inverbervie.

Lindsay

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 80
4. Re: Driving from Edinburgh to Stonehaven

Edinburgh to Stonehaven should be done with consideration. Personally I wouldn;t use main roads to Perth and Dundee. You miss a lot and the driving will be fast and probably not too enjoyable.

Consider a slow meander through Fife. Maybe take the Perth mototway to begin with but come off at Kinross. Loch Leven, Falkland Palace, the fishing villages of the Neuk of Fife, then S Andrews.

Maybe head north through Dundee to Kirriemuir; then west to Montrose; and if you then follow the coast you pass interesting wee places like Catterline. Or if you're into literature read some Lewis Grassic Gibbon then visit the centre.

Depending on what you want to do next, consider the inland road to Banchory rather than the coast road to Aberdeen. A957 [the Slug Road]

No matter what route you plan you'll miss something ....

Try here for worthwhile ideas. http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/

Brisbane, Australia
5. Re: Driving from Edinburgh to Stonehaven

Thanks for the in-depth details will revise our route.

Thanks very much for the advice

Brisbane, Australia
6. Re: Driving from Edinburgh to Stonehaven

Thanks for the tips, looking forward to the trip

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 80
7. Re: Driving from Edinburgh to Stonehaven

"sharp bands" yes it's difficult keeping those bagpipes tuned.

8. Re: Driving from Edinburgh to Stonehaven

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 02, 2014