We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing for 5 months

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Packing for 5 months

Hi everyone! This spring i will be studying abroad in Edinburgh for a few months and was wondering what I should pack for my trip. Ive heard to bring lots of layers and comfortable walking shoes, but are there any other suggestions? What type of shoes should I bring that are comfortable but still stylish? Thank you!

Essex
reviews: 71
1. Re: Packing for 5 months

Your profile gives no clue about you.

Where do you hail from?? If we knew that, then advice on suitable clothing would be much easier!

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 44
2. Re: Packing for 5 months

Why don't you just wear the shoes you would wear at home? Choose a pair that are comfortable and stylish (and maybe waterproof) and bring them.

Pack for 3 seasons (not winter, unless you are from a hot country. In which case, you can buy warm clothes when you get there).

Hat, scarf and gloves.....

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
3. Re: Packing for 5 months

< Packing for 5 months >

Pack for two weeks and wash.

Add onto that clothing for wet / dry / warm / cold / cloudy / sunny

Portland, Oregon
4. Re: Packing for 5 months

Oh yes, I'm from the Pacific Northwest so I'm sure the weather is going to be very similar. I'm assuming I'll be walking around a lot more in Edinburgh than here though so I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any specific things that I should bring that are popular in Scotland. Thank you all for your help!

Essex
5. Re: Packing for 5 months

Edinburgh IME is a pretty Cosmopolitan place, you don't need to 'fit in' in fact your 'difference' will probably intrigue and please others, anyway!

Edinburgh also has plenty of shops of all kinds and all budgets, if you find there is something you want/need that you forgot to pack, including Charity shops (Thrift Shops) for a student budget!

Good luck with your travels and studies.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
6. Re: Packing for 5 months

'What type of shoes should I bring that are comfortable but still stylish?' Those that are in your closet or on the shoe rack, as peterscot suggested.

And as EW said, we have no clue about where you live, who you are or much else about your coming adventure. With that dearth of information, I suggest that whatever else you do, lay out the clothes and goods you think you will need and then put back at least half of the items.

For my first six month visit to the UK and Europe, many years ago, I packed what I thought I would need / want. During my time away I acquired a new and massive bag, filled it to the bursting point, and filled what spare room there was in the bag I took on departure.

These days I take the minimum, do laundry during my holiday (thank goodness for short stay flats) and allow for a bit of retail therapy to fill the interstices of my suitcase.

Essex
7. Re: Packing for 5 months

Ah TP the young lady in fact has given us a clue now, she comes from Portland Oregon!

You probably have more chance of knowing what it's like there, than I do!!

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 74
8. Re: Packing for 5 months

Don't worry too much if you find you've got the wrong stuff - there are loads of places you can get what you want. Edinburgh has hundreds of charity shops which recycle really good clothes and furniture and ....

I'm assuming that you're coming as a student therefore young and impecunious.

Whatever's stylish in Portland will probably be different in Edinburgh. After you get here, just keep your eyes open and observe the strange habits of the natives.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 203
9. Re: Packing for 5 months

Hi! How exciting! My advice would be not to worry too much about what you bring. Just take the basics and everything else you'll be able to buy easily and affordably in Edinburgh. Shoes - some cute pumps, and some sneakers is fine. Buy some rain boots or hiking boots when you arrive if you want. What are you going to be studying? I miss Edinburgh Uni.

Have fun!

Abs :)

10. Re: Packing for 5 months

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, December 16, 2013