We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh in March?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salt Lake City, Utah
reviews: 137
Edinburgh in March?

Im going to Edinburgh come March 2013 and as excited as i am, i am a little concerned that the weather might be not so great. What is the weather like come that time of the year? What type of clothing should i bring to withstand the conditions March brings? I live in Salt Lake City so im thinking Edinburgh will be around the same temperature if not a little warmer than Salt Lake come that time of year.

Dunfermline, United...
reviews: 40
1. Re: Edinburgh in March?

Nobody knows. It could be snow, sunshine, rain or fog. Sometimes all on the same day.

Good chance of it being around the low 50's, showery and windy or low 70's and sunny

Grantown-on-Spey...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
reviews: 113
2. Re: Edinburgh in March?

Layers, layers, layers!

Last March we had gloriously unseasonal weather with sunny days around mid March. Amazing! You are best to bring a waterproof jacket and boots for walking as well as T shirts and a sweater. Its unlikely you will need shorts or swimwear but who knows the way the weather is shaping up!!?

Check out this website before you fly - its usually quite accurate

yr.no/sted/Storbritannia/Skottland/Edinburgh/

Have a great trip - you will love Edinburgh and I hope you get to see other parts of Scotland too

regards

Woody x

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 4
3. Re: Edinburgh in March?

If you go here wunderground.com/global/stations/03160.html scroll down the left hand side until you come to History & Almanac and click on Seasonal Weather Averages

Then compare it with www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:84101.1.99999 you will find the average temperatures, rainfall and snowfalls.

However as the others say the weather changes a lot and you want to wear layers with a waterproof and windproof outer layer

Salt Lake City, Utah
reviews: 137
4. Re: Edinburgh in March?

Thank you for all the comments I appreciate it greatly. Im looking foward to the trip whatever weather decides to show up.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 76
5. Re: Edinburgh in March?

last year in March it was 20c but that was abnormal So be prepared for a bit of anything and everything, its basically pot luck

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 80
6. Re: Edinburgh in March?

Salt Lake City is deeply continental and the weather tends to stay fixed for long periods of time; the UK is on the Atlantic Seaboard therefore weather changes frequently, and doesn't have the extremes Utah does.

holidayscotland.org.uk/articles-scotland-wea…

Aberdeen, United...
reviews: 44
7. Re: Edinburgh in March?

Take a lots of layers, the weather is very changeable. It's not unusual to have all 4 seasons in 1 day. Definitely make sure to bring a waterproof jacket and shoes and a scarf, hat and gloves. You might not need them but its always better to be prepared.

County Cork, Ireland
reviews: 20
8. Re: Edinburgh in March?

As everyone is saying, be prepared for anything and you'll be great! The summer was worst ever so couldn't be much worse...

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
reviews: 211
9. Re: Edinburgh in March?

Despite the '4 seasons in one day' cliche about the Scottish weather, its really very unlikely to be really warm in March! This year, March had some very unseasonably warm weather - this obviously doesnt happen often.

Its more likely to be no warmer than about 12c or so - and could be down to freezing at night with snow not impossible. Some amounts of sunshine, rain and gusty winds almost guaranteed!

Whatever the weather Edinburgh is a fantastic city and am sure you will enjoy.

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 31
10. Re: Edinburgh in March?

I too am going to Edinburgh in March. Seems like most people are saying cold and wet. I have been told to wear layers, remove as needed. Plan on long overcoat, sweater , long sleeve shirt and finally a t shirt. Still not sure about pants or trousers, just not sure how to layer that half of the body. Hope you have a great trip. Traveling from Pensacola, FL,. USA. the first of March.