We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh Airport - Megabus

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cork Ireland
Edinburgh Airport - Megabus

We will be traveling to Aberdeen next month from ireland, and it looks like Cork Edinburgh is the best flight option. Does the Megabus actually leave from the airport or do we have to go into Edinburgh to get the bus? If so, is is a long journey from airport to city centre and is bus from airport easily found???

thanks

emily

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
1. Re: Edinburgh Airport - Megabus

If you click on the word "view" when you see the timetable you'll see the routing.

In this case you take the 747 bus from the airport to Inverkeithing then Megabus from there - the ticket is valid all the way from the airport

Edinburgh, Scotland
reviews: 59
2. Re: Edinburgh Airport - Megabus

As someone pointed out when I responded to this question previously - OP should change to the Megabus at the Ferrytoll Park and Ride, which is also the bus interchange, rather than travel to the centre of Inverkeithing. The bus driver will advise.

Cork Ireland
3. Re: Edinburgh Airport - Megabus

Thanks a mill. Bus leaves about 50 mins after flight gets into the airport. does that give me enough time to catch the 747 bus - i presume i get the 747 just outside the airport. one more query, - is getting this bus less hassle than going into city centre for train.

thanks so much for the advice

emily

Cork Ireland
4. Re: Edinburgh Airport - Megabus

and one more thing - i forgot to ask - is it essential to book ticket in advance??

thanks again

Edinburgh, Scotland
5. Re: Edinburgh Airport - Megabus

Assuming your incoming flight is on time and there are no unusual circumstances, 50 minutes should be ample time to catch the bus. It leaves from a stance directly in front of the main terminal between domestic and international arrivals. For sure, it is less hassle to get this bus than go into town, but the train does travel quite fast so, depending on how long you have to wait for a connection, it could well get you to Aberdeen more quickly.

I'm afraid I can't answer with any confidence regarding the need to book in advance. Someone else will surely be along soon to let you know!

aberdeen
reviews: 26
6. Re: Edinburgh Airport - Megabus

Yes it is essential to book either megabus or train early if you want to pick up the “cheapest” tickets, for train start 3 months prior to your dates and I believe the megabus is similar time frame, for instance it is still possible to pick up £10 single train tickets Edinburgh - Aberdeen there is no specific date that they appear although its generally around the 1- 2 month mark, so what I do is get on the Scotrail site and spend 2 mins every day trying the date until they pop up and then the same for your return date, and that's a hell of a lot cheaper than the usual fare.

I get them every time that way and yes the train is a “lot” faster.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
reviews: 5
7. Re: Edinburgh Airport - Megabus

I'm not sure the train journey is really that much faster than the bus from EDI airport to Aberdeen, The quickest bus journey is about 3hrs 20mins whilst the train from Haymarket is 2hrs 15mins but you've got to factor in the bus trip to Haymarket and connection time which would make it around the same overall travel time if not longer than the bus.

Edited: 5:14 am, August 28, 2012
Cork Ireland
8. Re: Edinburgh Airport - Megabus

Thanks everyone. I'm going to stick with the Megabus, there really is not time to be saved by going into city for train. Thanks for the tip re Scotrail site, i will need it for future reference and my daughter will be studying in Aberdeen and will be traveling back to ireland a few times a year.

Cork Ireland
9. Re: Edinburgh Airport - Megabus

Another query, is Edinburgh Airport a small airport? I plan to fly from Edinburgh back to ireland at night - 9.10pm - am i correct in assuming that if if were to be at the airport by 7.50 i would have plenty of time?

thanks

emily.

Edinburgh, Scotland
10. Re: Edinburgh Airport - Megabus

It's the largest and busiest in Scotland, with maybe 30 gates, so "small" is not a reasonable description. For short flights where I won't be checking baggage and I have printed my boarding card, I plan to be there no later than an hour before pushback, and usually plan at least another half-hour into my schedule.

Remember that the "low-cost" airlines, especially, insist that you be at the gate ready to embark 30 (sometimes 40) minutes before scheduled departure. Security lines at EDI are much improved of late and don't usually require more than 5-10 minutes, so 1h20m before depature should be fine, but doesn't leave much wiggle room if something goes awry. If I were coming from any substantial distance (Aberdeen?) I would personally plan a schedule with a bit more slack.