We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hostelworld or the hostel website?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Van
reviews: 7
Hostelworld or the hostel website?

I am attempting to book the castle rock hostel for a couple of nights at the end of August. I was look at the price on the actual website and it is £47 for the two nights in a dorm and I need a £25 deposit, but on Hostelworld it is only 45$ (Canadian) and a deposit of 5$. In addition on the hostelworld website I can get rooms that aren't available on the hostel's website and I can be very specific about what room I would want. My initial thought is to book with Hostelworld because it is so much cheaper....but I am nervous I might be bumped or something because I'm not paying as much....but then again the deposit is less to begin with! Does anyone have any thoughts/ suggestions?

6 replies to this topic
Edinburgh
reviews: 59
1. Re: Hostelworld or the hostel website?

Hostelworld take commission from hotels/B&Bs. The $5 depoist will go to them and not the owners. I would always go direct personally and give the owners the money!

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
reviews: 228
2. Re: Hostelworld or the hostel website?

Hostelworld (and Hostelbookers) are reputable companies, and a useful place to look at hostel reviews, though if the price is pretty close I would tend to go direct.

Its not as if the deposit is a huge amount of money unless you think you might renege on the booking? As we're talking the very height of the season in Edinburgh I would suggest you book it quickly which ever way you choose to go about it. Haven't stayed there but the location is great!

3. Re: Hostelworld or the hostel website?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, October 03, 2012

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4. Re: Hostelworld or the hostel website?

Wake up! Hostelworld is a "middle man" with visibility, pretending they have something to provide,

they have nothing, they do nothing, just charge a 10% commission that you'll pay, and the property you'll stay will never see.

Avoid Hostelworld, do business with your host, not with a middle man who has no power over properties.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 204
5. Re: Hostelworld or the hostel website?

Hostelworld provide exposure and booking management for the hostel, and clearly provide the OP with a cheaper room and more specificity. I have used then before with no difficulties. Obviously you don't have quite the same guarantee as booking directly with the hostel, and in peak season that guarantee is something you may desire.

But at the end of the day, you are saving a reasonable amount of money, so you may wish to opt for Hostelworld.

Abs :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel
reviews: 2,850
6. Re: Hostelworld or the hostel website?

Lisa R is having a similar rant on the Bargain Travel forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12290-k5703095…

Reply to: Hostelworld or the hostel website?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted