We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train London to Edinburgh

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lethbridge, Canada
reviews: 18
Train London to Edinburgh

My husband and I are travelling from London to Edinburgh by train. I am wondering how much this should cost us?

Are we better to book closer to the time of our trip or way in advance?

Where would we find the cheapest prices? I seems to be getting a mixed message. Some sites say the tickest should be cheap but when i am searching them the prices are coming up anywhere from 250GBP to 400 GBP?

Help!!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 4
1. Re: Train London to Edinburgh

Look here http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/ best prices are 12 weeks before travel. It might be that you are cheaper to fly. When are you coming to Edinburgh?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
2. Re: Train London to Edinburgh

Ah, just looked at a previous post, you are talking about October. Today they are looking at 28 September. Keep checking the website.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
3. Re: Train London to Edinburgh

By the way you want London Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley.

UK
reviews: 83
4. Re: Train London to Edinburgh

Are we better to book closer to the time of our trip or way in advance?

======

You are better to book around 12 weeks in advance because cheapest fares come out then, but its not an exact 12 weeks, keep looking.

Train is for most preferable to flying, roughly the same time and city-centre to city-centre, no worries about luggage, none of the hassles of flying.

If you aren't all about getting the absolute cheapest journey then you can sometimes get good deals on first class, which are more comfortable seats.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
5. Re: Train London to Edinburgh

eastcoast.co.uk which runs most of the trains between London and Edinburgh tells you when you can book up to.

You could also consider the Caledonian Sleeper overnight train run by Scotrail.

Lethbridge, Canada
reviews: 18
6. Re: Train London to Edinburgh

Thank you I think East Coast will work. I called and the Oct 1 tickets will be on sale on Sunday so i should be able to get a couple of those!!!

Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 17
7. Re: Train London to Edinburgh

We had a great trip on East Coast from London to Edinburgh a week ago. Very clean, comfortable and beautiful scenery. Print your tickets at home and them.

Pflugerville, Texas
reviews: 15
8. Re: Train London to Edinburgh

My husband and I did the East Coast from London Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverly first class on July 1, 2012. It was great! Seats were comfortable, and we had free wifi access! The scenery was fantastic (the main reason for taking the train) and we were served snacks and drinks at our seats. I was quite impressed with East Coast!

Boston
reviews: 46
9. Re: Train London to Edinburgh

(I know you couple already made up your mind but I am writing this for others, who will read this for their later reading)

I was suggested from TA forum members to get Caledonian Sleeper departing from London Euston-Edinburgh Waverly Station.

I booked 2 tickets for us at 29 pounds per person, each way. And, it comprised to 116 pounds altogether. When my Scottish friend from London joined us, his booking was at 49 pounds. 29,49 pound fares were available for 3-4 days every week. But, the website says, the prices will be anything from 19,29,39,49 pounds.

Just type in "bargain berth Caledonian Sleeper" on google and you will see scotrail's Bargain Berth page for available dates. It was simple to book our trip. Less than 5-10 min.

In my case, I only had a whim to get away from London, while visiting for the Olympics, and, to choose the dates between the Olympic event dates to attend, and I was glad that I found this Sleeper train deaprting right before midnight, arriving in the Center of Edinburgh at 7am. After one event ends in the afternoon, we can take a rest and take an early shower at home, head to London Euston Station, sleep on the train, get to Edinburgh Next Morning, and, check in a hotel early and start the day early when every place is open.

We are picking a hotel in Edinburgh in Old Town/New Town area to leave our luggage for the easy stroll back to Edinburgh Waverly station for the night train back.

However, this is for the quick getaway for the travelers, like myself, who do not mind the night travel. Personally, I don't think the day travel to Scotland was that scenic, from my driving up there in the past decades(8-9 hours by car), but the day travel by train is worth it if you have a big budget, and/or a long advanced booking(I could not find the suitable dates with my short notice, hence no choice this time), and. most of all, you want to get there in 4.5 hours during the day, you should absolutely look for the day trains at all costs.

I hope this adds another option for anyone to add Scotland as a short haul trip while visiting London;)

scotland
reviews: 168
10. Re: Train London to Edinburgh

The east coast line is very good. Book as soon as you possibly can and pay in advance and you will get some great bargains. Avoid travelling at peak times as these are much more expensive but there are plenty of trains to choose from. The journey takes around 4 1/2 hours city centre to city centre which can be quicker than plane by the time you get through security etc and travel into centre. Also check out first class upgrades. You can sometimes get them for around £10 which can prove good value as you get drinks coffee and a meal included depending on time of day you travel. Nice scenery too from around Durham up to Edinburgh.