We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver
Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

Hello. I am flying on aer Lingus, operated by aer Arann from Edinburgh to Dublin. I am a bt confused about the checked in baggage restrictions. I am checking in a large bag, weight about 22 kilos, and since the maximum for free is 20 kilos, I purchased 3 kilos to cover the excess. Now I am considering checking in my carryon as well since it is a touch larger than what is allowed. My carryon weighs in at 11 kilos, so am I correct to purchase another 11 kilos in excess weight? I just don't want to make a mistake and have to pay excessive fees later. Thanks for any advise and confirmation!

32 replies to this topic
Lucan, Ireland
11. Re: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

Aer Lingus are disgusting they just charged me 255 euro for an extra bag weighing 15kg, they charge 15 euro per kg and 30 euro for the additional back, Im sick!

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 14
12. Re: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

I just fail to understand how the airlines can get away with such excessive charging. I know if you complain they will tell you that it is clearly written on your booking details what the charges are but does that make the charges ok?

I think it is an appalling example of opportunism. The airlines know the passenger wants to get home AND bring their luggage with them.....otherwise they would not have packed it.

Liverpool
reviews: 25
13. Re: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

I will be travelling from Glasgow to Dublin in June, as part of a a trip to Glasgow,Dublin and London, so away for 5 nights in total.

I bought a small and lightweight cabin bag last year , that I have used on Ryanair without problem, it just meets the measurements they impose. BUT its to large to take on the Aer Lingus regional route from Glasgow International to Dublin, so I will have to take the Ryanair flight from Prestwick - a customer lost there Aer Lingus for the sake of literally a couple of centimetres.

maybe use a slightly larger plane eh ...theres an idea

Edited: 7:03 am, January 04, 2013
Flin Flon, Canada
reviews: 18
14. Re: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

OK I'm still not clear on what i can do or should do. I am planning to book asap onto flight El 3282 Aer Lingus operated by Aer Arann Dublin to Bristol. I thought i was okey to check in, with my'Plus' fare, a 20 Kgm suitcase AND carry on a 10 Kgm backpak free. Am I to understand that it is an either/or? That the total weight of my checked and carry-on is how they calculate my allowance? And how do i purchase the extra weight allowance? I didn't notice anything when i went through the Aer Lingus website. I assume this must be done at the time i book my ticket online right?

Donnellson, Iowa
reviews: 3
15. Re: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

So what happens if you book from US (Chicago) via Aer Lingus then have connecting in Dublin via Aer Arann to Edinburgh? It looks like the long haul flight allows under 23kgs (50 lbs) free. Are they going to charge me tor the 2nd flight. Looks like the weight limits are lower for what they consider excess baggage. This may force me to pack light.

Flin Flon, Canada
16. Re: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

For what it is worth i am flying to Dublin from Canada via Winnipeg, Toronto and London. The London-Dublin leg is on a different airline but the same luggage restrictions as Air Canada has apply - as far as I know. BUT I am going to be heading from Dublin to Bristol a couple of weeks later on Aer Lingus/ Aer Arann so i have to plan my luggage for that trip. That is why i need to be very sure i understand what the rules are.

Cork, Ireland
reviews: 8
17. Re: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

Don't know if you've already flown but It's 20kg stowed weight with aer arann per bag (they charge for each stowed bag , 15euro each way i think?) and max 7kg carry-on. also the allowed dimensions of the carry-on are similar to a standard briefcase so the usual hard-case carry-on jobbies that other airlines allow won't work. it needs to be something collapsible...

Flin Flon, Canada
18. Re: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

Thanks bonjai - asking a question on a travel forum like this is like asking for a gift that keeps on giving. I haven't gone on my trip yet so i appreciate your making sure i have my information right. The only decision i have to make concerns the packsack i take to use as my carry-on bag. If the bag can be bent right over and crunched right down, i should have no trouble with their dimensions restrictions right? I have one of those little paks the hold away from your back. It's 22 inches tall but could be bent over to half that height.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 7
19. Re: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

Do they check the dimentions of the bags.....my small case that I use on Ryan air flights is 1cm to big for the aer arran flight to dublin........i was wondering if i should risk it or check my case in before hand ????

Flin Flon, Canada
20. Re: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

As i wrote previously my carry on is a small backpack which will not be tightly packed. It measures a couple of inches longer than Aer Arann regulations allow but it wil fold over into a length much smaller. I'm counting on this being allowed.. I am travelling from Dublin to Bristol. If anyone knows better i would sure appreciate a heads up before i leave home.

Reply to: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted