We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver
Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

Hello. I am flying on aer Lingus, operated by aer Arann from Edinburgh to Dublin. I am a bt confused about the checked in baggage restrictions. I am checking in a large bag, weight about 22 kilos, and since the maximum for free is 20 kilos, I purchased 3 kilos to cover the excess. Now I am considering checking in my carryon as well since it is a touch larger than what is allowed. My carryon weighs in at 11 kilos, so am I correct to purchase another 11 kilos in excess weight? I just don't want to make a mistake and have to pay excessive fees later. Thanks for any advise and confirmation!

32 replies to this topic
UK
reviews: 89
1. Re: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

Now I am considering checking in my carryon as well since it is a touch larger than what is allowed. My carryon weighs in at 11 kilos, so am I correct to purchase another 11 kilos in excess weight?

==========

Are you allowed two suitcases?

I'd check that first, and if you are the fee for a second case will almost certainly include a certain amount of weight (likely 20kg) in which case with hindsight you needn't have spent the extra for the 3kg.

I also wouldn't be surprised if it would be cheaper to just buy a smaller bag that you can carry on and ditch the other one and not have to pay extra bag /weight fees.

Edited: 5:02 am, March 01, 2012
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
2. Re: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

As it's Aer Lingus short haul rules that apply you'll pay for the checked excess weight AND for the number of bags

Bear in mind you have a land luggage allowance of 7kg so you may as well fins a bag (even a plastic shopping bag) to carry some of your stuff onboard and only pay for 4kg excess. If you can roll your hand luggage bag up you might be able to avoid the 2nd bag fee if you can stuff it somewhere (though if it can be made smaller then don't fill it up and ensure it can be made to fit the hand luggage sizer)

aerlingus.com/help/…d.en.1223

UK
reviews: 89
3. Re: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

Ran out of edit time.

A couple of things. First, if you do take a carry on, note this

====

Cabin baggage for Aer Lingus Regional flights (Flight Nos 3000-4000 operated by Aer Arann) must weigh less than 7 kgs/15 lbs in total carried in one bag per passenger. The maximum dimensions for a cabin bag are 48cm x 36cm x 21cm or 19in x 14in x 8in

===

Second, if you go into the booking system yes it seems the 20kg limit is per passenger, add a bag and they charge you for that ( £24 extra IIRC) PLUS you have to pay a charge for extra weight above 20kg up to a limit of 32kg so that would be an extra £72, eg £100 or so.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
4. Re: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

I'm flying Edinburgh to Cork on Saturday and nearly got caught out by the cabin bag allowance. I rarely check in a bag as I travel light and only have a roll on. However although I've flown with Aer Lingus with just carry on many times luckily I noticed that the flight was operated by Aer Arran and have had to pay £12 to check in my bag as although I can keep it under 7kg it's over the size dimensions. They operate a small regional turboprop on this route so have to keep the cabin baggage to a minimum.

As the others have said if your carry on is small enough and you can fit your excess into your checked bag then just pay for the extra 4kg or wear a big coat with lots of pockets.

I am slighty peed off with the baggage situation as the flight was double the cost of my Cork to Amsterdam flight on Monday where I can just take the roll on bag into the cabin!! ce la vie. Was even more pee'd off when three days after booking they put a sale on and reduced the EDI to ORK flight by £30

Edited: 5:33 am, March 01, 2012
Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 29
5. Re: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

The Aer Lingus plane used on this route is very small and the cabin storage it tiny, this means they are strict on the allowances. Most people use Ryanair for this route, as even with all of their additional charges it is a cheaper deal and they offer more planes per day . www.ryanair.co.uk

kentucky
reviews: 15
6. Re: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

So do they really weigh the carryon luggage? I've never encountered that on other airlines, this will be my first with Aerlingus. The dimensions of my carryon will be ok, but I usually carryon heavier stuff.

Peterhead, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
reviews: 60
7. Re: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

Lots of Airlines weigh hand luggage nowadays. It usually happens when the flights are full. A sign will flash on the notice board above the check in desk to warn you of the weight limit you are allowed. Anything after this limit will be charged. We have seen a charge of £12.00 per extra kilo applied on a few occasions.

We were in front of a man from Glasgow whose carry on bag was 2 kilos over and his wife's bag was 1 kilo over so they had nowhere to put the extra. They were charge £36.00.

Edited: 3:19 am, March 02, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 14
8. Re: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

Just returned to Dublin from Edinburgh this evening on Aer Lingus regional. We brought the exact same bags with us on our return. No problem with the size restrictions on our way over but had to check them in at a cost of £24 each on our return ! We are confused and annoyed. Expect this sort of treatment from Ryanair when the flights are cheap as chips but not from our national airline. We had no problem putting the cases into the overhead space on the way over. It appears most airlines are now hopping on Michael O'Leary's bandwagon of squeezing as much money as possible from stressed travellers who have no choice but to cough up.Won't be flying Aer Lingus regional again

Saxtons River...
reviews: 5
9. Re: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

I had the same problem last year. The carry-on bag that came with me from Boston to Dublin to Edinburgh was deemed too large to go back to Dublin from Edinburgh. I too had to pay-- and was not happy to say the least. My last three trips have been on British airways, with no problems. No more Aer Lingus for me.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 14
10. Re: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann

Have thought a little more about this today and the conclusion I have reached is that Airlines are resorting to opportunism to make an extra buck. They recognise that humans make mistakes..... arrive at check-in a few minutes late, mislay their boarding cards, pack that one item of clothing too many, don't read all the small print .....and they penalise us for it. We probably all do our very best to be good passengers and abide by the rules and regulations but life sometimes gets in the way of good intentions. What on earth has become of the airline industry ? I remember a time when passengers were welcome customers and treated with respect indeed I remember a time when flying was relaxing and fun....now it is so stressfull I am beginning to dread having to fly anywhere.

Reply to: Luggage weight restrictions for aer Lingus - aer Arann
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted