We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice restaurants on the Royal Mile

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
reviews: 13
Nice restaurants on the Royal Mile

Hello,

We are visiting Edinburgh for Hogmany, could you please recommend any nice restaurants on or just off the Royal Mile please,

Budget say £40 per person? Preferred cuisine is Steaks and Fish

Edinburgh, Scotland
reviews: 59
1. Re: Nice restaurants on the Royal Mile

For an evening meal, including drinks, you would have to be careful at the top of the market, but most of the places on the Royal Mile could fit inside your budget. Check the reviews here.

Thinking top-end, Abs will be along in a moment to enthuse about Wedgwood so I'll leave that one to her (for what it's worth, after three disappointments, Mrs J and I have agreed we won't try it again). Dubh Prais gets high praise, but we've never managed to get a reservation - you do have to book up well in advance. There are plenty more - the Witchery is highly rated for atmosphere, and there are several good places serving Italian-inspired menus.

But I'm running on and you say that you are looking for "steaks and fish". I think you might like the Cellar Door on George IV Bridge, one of our mid-priced favourites. Our other favourite for that sort of menu is Wildfire, on Rose Street, behind Princes Street, but I guess that doesn't really qualify as "just off" the Royal Mile. The Grain Store, or Howies, on Victoria Street, might also do it for you.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
2. Re: Nice restaurants on the Royal Mile

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186525-…

Edited: 1:03 pm, December 27, 2011
Edinburgh
reviews: 48
3. Re: Nice restaurants on the Royal Mile

Google Angels with Bagpipes

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
reviews: 100
4. Re: Nice restaurants on the Royal Mile

Buffalo Grill not on Royal Mile, but a reasonable walk.

http://www.buffalogrill.co.uk/

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 212
5. Re: Nice restaurants on the Royal Mile

Hi.

I will ignore john987654321's jibe. Wedgwood has been consistently good it my experience. But you wouldn't get a meal & drinks for £40.

The mussel and steak bar on West Bow (just off the royal mile) offers the steak and seafood mix. Or there is a fish restaurant in Missoni that gets fabulous write-ups (haven't been there myself).

Buffalo Grill is a good bet for steak, about 10 min walk from the Royal Mile. It gives you a lit of steak for your bucks, and is BYOB, which helps.

Abs :)

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 76
6. Re: Nice restaurants on the Royal Mile

The restaurants i have visited and can recommend are

Dubh Prais

Angels with Bagpipes

Ondine (seafood, which is next door to Missioni, not part of it)

Edinburgh
reviews: 42
7. Re: Nice restaurants on the Royal Mile

Another place to ponder over. Good location at the top of the Mound. Its not a huge menu (no steaks) but on each visit we have had really nice meals.

www.portofi.com/index.php…

8. Re: Nice restaurants on the Royal Mile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, November 23, 2012
Edinburgh
reviews: 52
9. Re: Nice restaurants on the Royal Mile

Monteiths - located about half way down the Royal Mile - does delicious steaks and fish, and its cocktails are also excellent:

http://www.monteithsrestaurant.co.uk/food.php

London, United...
reviews: 58
10. Re: Nice restaurants on the Royal Mile

Amber, which is part of the Whisky Heritage Centre is very good -- almost every dish has whisky as an ingredient and the food is very good.

The Witchery by the Castle is also excellent, but in your price range you would need to get the fixed price pre-/post-theatre dinner.