We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train costs from Edinburgh to London

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
The Woodlands, Texas
Train costs from Edinburgh to London

I am investigating train costs one way from Edinburgh to London. There are 3 of us and am a little surprised at the cost, anywhere from 150 -170 pounds, for an advanced purchase through the East Coast or Virgin sites for the 3 of us.

Does this sound reasonable? Should I buy before I leave or buy tickets when I get there?

Thank you,

Karen

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
1. Re: Train costs from Edinburgh to London

As is said about 20 times a day on UK forums cheap train tickets are only released 12 and 8 weeks before departure.WHEN are you trying to book these tickets for??

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
2. Re: Train costs from Edinburgh to London

Fares vary between £12 & £189.50 per person depending on when you book, when you are travelling and which class you are travelling in.

Aberdeen, Scotland
3. Re: Train costs from Edinburgh to London

For most journeys on this route (and other long distance UK train trips) it's nearly always a lot cheaper to buy advance single tickets well ahead of travel date...but note that in UK as well as mainland Europe train tickets are not normally released more than 90 days ahead.

As a rough guide for Edinburgh / London, looking at random dates prices 4 weeks ahead are typically £47.50 or £54.00 whereas 8 weeks ahead price is £32.95 with a few trains at £24.05. Note these prices are per adult thus cost for 3 is treble.

Should you not be able to decide your exact date and time of travel in advance the off-peak return at £108.30 is always available and can be used on trains other than in morning / evening peak periods weekdays and on all trains at weekends. Furthermore price is the same just 5 mins prior to travel i.e. it's a 'walk-up' ticket.

The Woodlands, Texas
4. Re: Train costs from Edinburgh to London

Thank you all, we are traveing in mid July. Should have booked earlier.

Kiev, Ukraine
reviews: 3
5. Re: Train costs from Edinburgh to London

It MAY be cheaper to fly if that is an option.

I picked a date in the middle of July and it is just under £40 (each) to fly to Heathrow

Edited: 3:20 pm, June 25, 2010
Aberdeen, Scotland
6. Re: Train costs from Edinburgh to London

There's still some decent train prices in mid July especially for Tuesdays and Wednesdays when some trains are currently priced at £32.95. On other days £47.50 is often lowest price currently available. Depending on destination in London there might be little difference vs a £40 flight (assuming you could get one at that price) as cost of travel to / from airports is avoided, train being city centre / centre. You also need to watch out for 'hidden charges' which airlines increasingly add - some charge payment card fees for booking, checked bag charges and weight limits may be as little as 15kg with surcharges for excess. For this reason I often see folks with heavy luggage on the trains on this route - if they can carry it they can take it!

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 302
7. Re: Train costs from Edinburgh to London

I find it odd that you cannot find a ticket for less than about £150. Whilst the tickets for under £20 are always very hard to get, are you sure that you're checking all the advanced purchase single tickets options? If you are prepared to be a bit flexible, you should still be able to buy a reasonably priced Standard Class ticket. Check www.eastcoast.co.uk

The Woodlands, Texas
8. Re: Train costs from Edinburgh to London

We are traveling July 11, and I found first class tickets for 2 adults and 1 child for 160, standard class 135. However I could not book them using a US credit card because their website does not support US zip codes.

I happen to have a Scottish neighbor who told me to use Scotrail, which I had thought was trains only in Scotland. I just now booked online with Scotrail, very easy and no problems at 142 pounds standard fare.

Thank you to all who have helped me with my questions over the last few weeks. Very much appreciated. This site is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Re: Train costs from Edinburgh to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, December 24, 2010