We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Arthur's Seat

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Munich
reviews: 71
Getting to Arthur's Seat

How can one get to Arthur's Seat by public transport or walking? Would I need boots (with treads) or could I get by with street shoes or trainers?

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 42
1. Re: Getting to Arthur's Seat

You have to go through Holyrood Park to Dunsapie Loch and climb from there. There is no public transport so you either have to walk or you can drive there on the road through the park. It is a grassy hill to the top, fairly steep, and better tackled with something a bit more robust than trainers, particularly if the grass is wet.

Edinburgh, Scotland
reviews: 5
2. Re: Getting to Arthur's Seat

Arthur's Seat (or at least the Queen's Park where it is situated) is basically at the bottom of the Royal Mile behind the Scottish Parliment building. So there is not really any need to get a bus to go there. If you are doing one of the open top bus hop-on-hop-off tours I am sure they stop at Holyrood Palace which is right beside the park as well.

If you intend going to the top of Arthur's seat I would say that walking boots would be a good idea. It is steep in places and can be slippy. For a gentler stroll round the park trainers would be OK.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 788
3. Re: Getting to Arthur's Seat

scottishsport.co.uk/walking/arthurseat.htm

this should give you a bit of info,sturdy shoes are needed or good solid trainers.

Scunthorpe, United...
reviews: 81
4. Re: Getting to Arthur's Seat

For a 1:25,000 map go to:

www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/getamap/

Click on the pink box "I want to get-a-map now". Enter Edinburgh in the search box. This comes up with 1:50000 map centred on Arthur's Seat area. Click on the + circle for the 1:25000 map.

Eleanor

Cambridge, UK
reviews: 19
5. Re: Getting to Arthur's Seat

I would reccomend boots with treads as many stones worn and smoothed but when I was up there a couple weeks ago there was someone wearing flipflops!

I'm guessing she came from the loch side!

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
reviews: 24
6. Re: Getting to Arthur's Seat

"You have to go through Holyrood Park to Dunsapie Loch and climb from there. "

You dont have to - you can climb from other points in the park. As others have said, wear sturdier shoes than trainers but hiking boots arent necessary.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 49
7. Re: Getting to Arthur's Seat

As long as your trainers have a decent tread you will be fine. If I can do it anyone can do it.

8. Re: Getting to Arthur's Seat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:31 am, November 23, 2009