We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CHEAPEST way to get from London to Edinburgh and back again.

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
CHEAPEST way to get from London to Edinburgh and back again.

I want to make a day trip to Edinburgh on the 6th of April (Monday). Ideally, I would want to take a late train/bus out of London and reach in the morning, spend the entire day there and take another late train/bus out of Edinburgh back to London.

The trains I checked out online were like 50-60 pounds at the minimum. A friend of mine told me that you can actually get 1 pound train tickets on some site but I can't seem to find anything even close to that.

Does anyone have any ideas where I can get some good deals for my travel to Edinburgh?

Thanks a lot.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 788
1. Re: CHEAPEST way to get from London to Edinburgh and back again.

The overnight megabus might be an option and would mean sitting for 2 nights on a bus with little sleep,but it is an option.

http://www.megabus.com/uk/help/general.php

London, United...
reviews: 99
2. Re: CHEAPEST way to get from London to Edinburgh and back again.

Also look at National Express coaches -once again that would be overnight each way

linlithgow scotland
reviews: 65
3. Re: CHEAPEST way to get from London to Edinburgh and back again.

TV adverts running at the moment have a single fare starting from £16.50. My guess is your April date is too near to find a cheap deal via train/plane!

Book as soon as possible to pick up the bargains!

Gifford, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
reviews: 115
4. Re: CHEAPEST way to get from London to Edinburgh and back again.

Unfortunatly you visit is right in the middle of Easter School Holidays and there appears to be very few cheap deals on the train if you can bring your date forward a week or back a week you will find better deals.

Cambridge, UK
reviews: 19
5. Re: CHEAPEST way to get from London to Edinburgh and back again.

As with any deals you have to not be particular about when you can leave or return.

When I was checking the times for my trip at the end of April a couple of weeks ago the cheaply priced times wouldn't have got me there very early. And a couple of days later I looked again and all the prices had gone up, from about £35 for 2 singles to £65 for 2 singles.

Unfortunately you need to book a long time in advance to get the best deals.

London
reviews: 6
6. Re: CHEAPEST way to get from London to Edinburgh and back again.

The fares are released 12 weeks in advance and the best prices sell out very fast.

As has been said, it is Easter holidays, so a popular time for travelling, so you will not find a bargain at such short notice.

There are cheap flights, but the bargains will no longer be available, and you will have the added expense and bother of travelling to to and from airport.

Coach would be your cheapest option, but take far too long to be worth the bother.

Mumbai (Bombay...
7. Re: CHEAPEST way to get from London to Edinburgh and back again.

Wow train tickets are really expensive right now. I'm getting a London/Edinburgh return for like 450 pounds. That's crazy!!! I think I'm going to have to slum it and take the Bus. Megabus it is...about 29 pounds for a return ticket. Thanks a lot anyway.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
8. Re: CHEAPEST way to get from London to Edinburgh and back again.

<<< I'm getting a London/Edinburgh return for like 450 pounds. That's crazy!! >>>

don't know what website you are using but I see a price of £75 return on the 6th April using the first & last trains

In fact the highest price I can find is £373 for a 1st class, fully refundable, fully exchangeable ticket

See www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com & collect tickets at Kings Cross

Mumbai (Bombay...
9. Re: CHEAPEST way to get from London to Edinburgh and back again.

One of my brit friends told me to go onto britishrail.com and check the prices. I guess she's not too savvy about public transport in the UK. Anyway the price I was quoting was for two return tickets, but it's still too high. I heard about all sorts of cheap tickets and now everything I'm seeing is in hundreds of pounds: it's quite disappointing. I think I'm going to do the overnight Megabus; it's the only thing that is close to what I was expecting. Hopefully I'll be able to curl up and get some shuteye in the bus. They're comfy atleast, right?

Cotswolds
10. Re: CHEAPEST way to get from London to Edinburgh and back again.

Britrail exist to fleece unwary Americans by charging over the odds for tickets, seat reservations, etc

http://www.nationalexpress.com/index_.html

will give you a better deal - though with your dates could still be expensive

A walk on super off peak return is £108.80