We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Route from Glamis Castle to Stirling

Which Dundee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Virginia
reviews: 23
Driving Route from Glamis Castle to Stirling

Can anyone suggest a scenic route from Glamis Castle to Stirling. The route planners have suggested A90/A9 but we have a little time that afternoon and think there may be a more scenic route?? (We are driving up from St Andrews earlier that morning to see the Castle, and then plan to spend that night in Stirling.) Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
1. Re: Driving Route from Glamis Castle to Stirling

If you have lots of time head from Glamis to Kirremuir then take the A928/A923 towards Blairgowrie and Dunkeld crossing over the A9 there and picking up the A822 towards Crieff which is a lovely little place (where Ewan McGregor is from)

The take the A85 towards Lochearnhead and then the A84 towards Callander and then Stirling. Will take you a couple of hours at a a guess but more if you keep stopping.

Hope this helps.

Central scotland
reviews: 1
2. Re: Driving Route from Glamis Castle to Stirling

I absolutely agree with above. That is a very scenic interesting route. I travel the last part every day and never tire of it.

Northern Virginia
3. Re: Driving Route from Glamis Castle to Stirling

Excellent! Many thanks! It sure helps to get "expert/local knowledge!"

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
reviews: 68
4. Re: Driving Route from Glamis Castle to Stirling

Agree with my colleagues!

Have you any plans for where to stay in Stirling? Or indeed what you want to do?

If I can be of any assistance please ask away.......

Emelda

Northern Virginia
5. Re: Driving Route from Glamis Castle to Stirling

Emelda..I see you are an "expert" on Stirling!

We are staying two nights in Stirling at Terraces.. arriving on a Saturday afternoon (after Glamis Castle and the scenic drive detailed above.)

We want to see Stirling Castle, the Dunblane Cathedral and Bannockburn site. We also want to see the Trossachs and thought we could loop out thru Callender and Aberfoyle and back on Sunday. And of course need to hit a local pub or two (we will have our 23 yr old son with us!)

On Monday we drive west out to Inveraray via Balloch and up the west side of Loch Lomand, spending the night in Inveraray.

A couple of questions on Stirling for the "expert!"

1. Given our arrival on Sat do we need to make a reservation somewhere for dinner or can we just find something when we get there?

2. Given we will be there over a weekend is there a better time to see the Castle to avoid long queues/lines?

3. Any other tips would be most welcome!

Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
6. Re: Driving Route from Glamis Castle to Stirling

Emelda will likely answer you but as a local lad maybe I can suggest that you eat in the Terraces itself. Apparently they have just had a re-vamp and the food was supposed to be quite good. Emelda is that correct?

Otherwise I suggest Osta's, Longhorns on Friar street for steaks, Herman's up near the castle, although its a steep uphill walk, Smiling Jacks for Mexican, the Indian Cottage for, well, Indian (mmmm..) and Papa Joes on Dumbarton Road for burgers, steaks etc.

You will find somewhere without a reservation but you can always get the hotel to callfor you. All are 5-10 mins walk from your hotel.

You don't say when you are going but I should not imaginne there will be huge queues to get into the Castle, even at the weekend.

If you are going to visit all the castle etc then maybe use the hop on hop off bus which visits all the places you mention. I would also try to get to the top of the Wallace monument as the view from there on a clear day is spectacular.

If you want to go to the trossachs you could do it on the way from Glamis as on the route I gave you you skirt past the Trossachs national park as you come from Lochearnhead to Callander.

Hope thats enough for you to be getting on with. Have a great time.

Ron

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
reviews: 5
7. Re: Driving Route from Glamis Castle to Stirling

If you drive from Stirling to Dunblane you can pass through Bridge of Allan, which is a Victorian spa town well supplied with hostelries of both the upmarket and studenty varieties. At the Dunblane end is the Allanwater Cafe, renowned for its fish and chips, and at the Stirling end is Causewayhead with the Wallace Monument and Corrieries, renowned for pizza and ice cream.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
reviews: 76
8. Re: Driving Route from Glamis Castle to Stirling

Can I third Ron's suggestion for a driving route?

That really is the best suggestion for a scenic drive and also takes you through my home village of Comrie - which is a pretty little place but then of course I am baised.

The run along Loch Earn from St Fillans to Lochearnhead is a delight and I never tire of it - watch out for the seaplanes that you can often see landing here. The Achray Hotel in St Fillans is a lovely spot to make a stop for lunch as well. You can also take a bit of a detour at Balquidder to visit Rob Roy's grave (remember the film with Liam Neeson). The Antiques centre at Doune is also an interesting stop and the cafe there does a lovely scone.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
reviews: 68
9. Re: Driving Route from Glamis Castle to Stirling

Hi!

What a great bunch of people, good suggestions all. When are you coming?

I don't wish to duplicate, but here are my thoughts.

1. Given our arrival on Sat do we need to make a reservation somewhere for dinner or can we just find something when we get there?

(If you can book ahead I would. The Terraces has a good name, but you might want to 'get out'? If it were me, I would. Osta is a short walk for you and is a particular favourite of mine, as is Papa Joes on Dumbarton Road. Both are reasonable priced, have something for everyone and the food is good. there's also a Thai restauant at the top of King Street which I haven't been to for a few months, but I think it is very good. It's called Wilawan.

I'm afraid my experience of pubs is non-existent, but The Settle Inn has a good name and was Pub of the Year last year. It has lots of real ales and entertainment some nights. It's just at the foot of the castle so very handy for post castle sustenance).

2. Given we will be there over a weekend is there a better time to see the Castle to avoid long queues/lines?

(I doubt queues will be an issue. It may be a little busy at times, but you're on holiday, chill....!)

3. Any other tips would be most welcome!

(Are you going to do the open top bus tour? It's a very effective way of seeing loads of stuff.

If you are in Callander and have time to divert to The Trossachs that would make sense. Also if you like your castles, between Callander and Stirling is Doune Castle where Monty Python was filmed.

Now here's my secret tip for a very special view - do not tell anyone!

Go to Bridge of Allan and turn right (or left depending which way you come in) at the Allanwater cafe, go up the hill towards the Golf Club.

Follow the signs for the golf club, and when you find it keep going uphill. You end up on a farm road but keep going until you reach a house on the right hand side. Stop car, get out and enjoy the view.

After, keep going in the same direction until you reach a junction. Turn right and you will start to come down the hill. Just past the stables, look to your right through the gap in the trees, and enjoy!

Emelda

Northern Virginia
10. Re: Driving Route from Glamis Castle to Stirling

WOW! SO MANY TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS FROM ALL YOU VERY NICE PEOPLE! Looks like our two days in Stirling might be the highlight of our 10 day trip. We are comming in July by the way, so we best start on a diet now so we can handle all the great dining suggestions! We truly thank you all for all of your help. You are most wonderful!