We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested 2.5 day itinerary in Scotland?

Which Scottish Borders hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
reviews: 1
Suggested 2.5 day itinerary in Scotland?

My wife and I will be making our first trip to the UK in August and one possible idea is to spend part of our week in Scotland. We would arrive Heathrow ~7:00 a.m. on a Saturday and would like to fly immediately to Glasgow or Edinburgh, or maybe you have other suggestions? We would trravel back to London Monday evening or Tuesday morning, giving us about 2.5 days in Scotland. I am looking for suggested itineraries. We will rent a car. Thanks for your suggestions.

5 replies to this topic
Wetherby
reviews: 273
1. Re: Suggested 2.5 day itinerary in Scotland?

I notice you've posted similar in the Highlands forum, so I guess at this time you still have to decide Borders or Highlands. Both are beautiful in their own ways- the borders has gentler hills and valley geography but, in my opinion nicer towns to visit (Peebles, Kelso, Hawick, Jedburgh, Melrose to name a few), while the Highlands ( particularly in the Western half of Scotland north of Glasgow) is more rugged- more mountain and loch scenery.

On my first visit to Scotland I would go highlands (but it's a close call)- suggest fly to Glasgow, and head north to Loch Lomond, then west to Oban. From here a choice- either take a ferry to one of the Islands, or drive north to Fort William, and perhaps on up the Great Glen to Inverness. 2.5 days isn't long- and there is so much glorious scenery to see. Best to plan lots of time for stopping at towns, villages, viewing points etc rather than just drive drive drive.

Edited: 12:51 pm, January 07, 2012
Birmingham, United...
reviews: 153
2. Re: Suggested 2.5 day itinerary in Scotland?

Stephcart has made some excellent suggestions. The starkness of the scenery up beyond Inverness is breathtaking and if you get as far north as Assynt it is staggeringly beautiful. If you have not driven outside of the US I would advise you to leave plenty of time to get from one place to another as you will find the roads and driving very different. Bring insect repellant as Scotland has an insect called the Midge (pronounced midgee) which is nastier than a mosquito which it comes to itchiness but carries no diseases.

Austin, Texas
reviews: 1
3. Re: Suggested 2.5 day itinerary in Scotland?

Thanks for the suggestions. I have driven in Ireland and did not find the transition difficult outside of urban traffic.

Kelso
reviews: 39
4. Re: Suggested 2.5 day itinerary in Scotland?

Go to the borderstouristboard website and download the Tour of the Borders brochure listed under "info". You get 6 tours that cover a day out AND IT IS FREE!

See what the Borders have to offer, historic houses, hill walks, coastline, fabulous countryside.

cambs
reviews: 66
5. Re: Suggested 2.5 day itinerary in Scotland?

Hi

The north and west of Scotland is beautiful and the good news is you dont have to travel far from Glasgow to sample it.

Here is a fairly-fll route for 2 days, not too ambitious, allows time to see the sites along the way

day 1 pick up car at Glasgow Airport and leave on the M8 headed for Greenock

soon pick up signs for Erskine Bridge to cross the River Clyde

pick up A82 for DUmbarton, Loch Lomond, Cianlarich, Glencoe to Ballachulish

At Ballachulish head south for Oban where overnight

day 2 drop by Seil Island on the way south - there is a lovely old pub just the other side of the 'bridge across the Atlantic'

on via the Crinan Canal to Lochgilphead and then via Inverary and the-rest-and-be-thankful round towards Loch Lomond

Just before Loch Lomondhead south again for Gairlochhead

Explore the Kilcrggan peninsula then take the high road across to BAlloch and pick up the A82 back to Glasgow (remembering to cross back on the Erskine Bridge if you are headed for the airport

Reply to: Suggested 2.5 day itinerary in Scotland?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Scottish Borders