We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: 3 day trip to Highlands

Which Oban hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
rochester, NY
reviews: 18
Re: 3 day trip to Highlands

Okay, we have decided on 3 b&b nights- stopping in Oban, Aviemore and Pitlochry(side trip to Balmoral). Is Oban better than Ballachulish? The pics show Oban is beautiful, and driving there is just the right amount of miles, passing Glasgow, Loch Lomond etc. Please give me your honest opinoin. Thanks. Rose

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
reviews: 45
21. Re: Re: 3 day trip to Highlands

The goodwitch is right (as usual!)

scotland
reviews: 117
22. Re: Re: 3 day trip to Highlands

The West coast drive to Fort William /I'ness is stunning , via Glencoe etc .look at this link and see undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/inverness/…

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usmapindexes/west…

Georgia
reviews: 1
23. Re: Re: 3 day trip to Highlands

I'm not sure about the 2 nights in INvararay. Your earlier post said: "overnight in Inverary(4/1), Ballachulish or Glencoe(4/2) and Pitlochry (4/3)and then back to Edinburgh(4/4) near the airport"

I thought that made sense.

On 4/1, you can focus on getting out of Edinburgh, maybe Stirling Castle and/or other sites, Loch Lomond for sure and then over to Invararay. THat seems like a full day and a perfect mid-way stop for the night.

On 4/2, maybe a visit to Invararay Castle or Kilchurn (I'm selling here), Oban, Glencoe. Another full day and time to linger in Glencoe.

On 4/3, pick a route to Pitlochy w/lots to see either way (one way through Killin and along Loch Tay, the other thru Ft. William, Rt A86, Blair CAstle, then down to Pit..)

On 4/4, lots sto see on the wayt south toward Edinburgh.

That's a nice loop and vacation. We haven't been to INvararay, so can't say either way, but it seems a but much to spend 2 days.

FWIW,

Kevin

hornchurch,essex
reviews: 140
24. Re: Re: 3 day trip to Highlands

Don't equate Scottish miles with miles anywhere else. Yes, 27 miles may not sound like far, but what with the windy roads and lochs - which is part of Scotland's appeal - this could take a while!

25. Re: Re: 3 day trip to Highlands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, April 28, 2013