We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety After Dark

Which Oban hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 32
Safety After Dark

Is it safe to walk around Oban after dark? We have some dinners booked that will be later in the evening. By the time we walk back to our B&B it will be dark. We will have a car, but would prefer to walk, if it is safe. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks-

Nancy

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 11
1. Re: Safety After Dark

I wouldn't think twice about walking around Oban after dark

UK
reviews: 81
2. Re: Safety After Dark

You might fall into a ditch?

UK
reviews: 81
3. Re: Safety After Dark

You might fall into a ditch?

Glasgow
reviews: 5
4. Re: Safety After Dark

No problems at all. You will be fine. Enjoy your trip.

Scotland
5. Re: Safety After Dark

Apologies to OP - it's not nice to laugh at someone making enquiries in good faith, but dear God, if you're not safe in Oban... :)

(Usual caveats that it is not outwith the realms of possibility that you might encounter a madman, and sensible behaviour on your part is advised)

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
reviews: 5
6. Re: Safety After Dark

Just checked the local crime stats from the Strathclyde police website. They do have quite a high number of "Drunk & Incapables" and I suspect quite a few of the "Breaches of the Peace" are alhocol-related too.

Nae murdurrrrs though.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
reviews: 13
7. Re: Safety After Dark

I agree, even Taggart would be be twiddling his thumbs, maybe that's why they never filmed an episode there.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 68
8. Re: Safety After Dark

Oban Community Council

Meeting 30th March 2009

Police Report

• Sgt Owen echoed K McIntyre’s sentiments regarding Raymond Law’s services to policing within Oban.

• Crime figures relating to Oban have been recently analysed and there is no discernible pattern other than a direct correlation between levels of alcohol consumption and incidents of violence.

• Urinating in the street has become more prevalent. The Chief Inspector is pursuing a Zero Tolerance policy and fixed penalty tickets will be issued to people found urinating in the street. It was noted that there is a widespread surprise amongst those challenged as they do not see the difficulty with this type of behaviour.

Crime stats are way below national averages and nae muurders

findanewhome.com/scotland/…crime-rates.fap

Again thanks for the laugh. You will probably chortle at yourself when you get there and remember your post :-)

Stornoway, United...
reviews: 15
9. Re: Safety After Dark

So you might step in pee or trip over a drunk fisherman.

I'd have no concerns about walking at night in Oban, even as a single female.

Edinburgh, United...
10. Re: Safety After Dark

Don't laugh, JoeintheUK. I tripped up on the pavement in Edinburgh last night and spent a joyful several hours in the Emergency Department at the Infirmary. There are hidden dangers out there, I tell you.