We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small Group tours of Scotland

Millersville...
Small Group tours of Scotland

My husband and I are planning a trip to Scotland next June and are looking at small-group (less than 20 pp) tour groups, such as Kensington, Odysseys Unlmited, Lynott, Backroads Touring, etc. I've seen a couple of (older) awful reviews of Lynott, but can anyone attest to any o fthe other groups?

We'd like to spend 10-12 days seeing the sights and some off-the beaten path, insider stuff, but tour companies make me nervous. Our other (more expensive) option is a driver guide, but we'd miss the experience of other travelers.

Any opinions are welcome, and thanks!

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 83
1. Re: Small Group tours of Scotland

You can either put yourself in the hands of a tour group, who will presumably take care of all your travel and accommodation, and maybe even food, or you can be partly self-sufficient by booking hotels for a few main locations and using small group tours from the likes of Rabbies and Timberbush, who operate one day trips and upwards. They too operate from large minibuses and small coaches.

Millersville...
2. Re: Small Group tours of Scotland

I am waiting for Rabbies to have 2104 rates posted, as they have some interesting options. Had not heard of Timberbush though, so thanks for the lead. I will check into them as well. Thanks Derek!

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
3. Re: Small Group tours of Scotland

And there are others with sillier names. Haggis and Hairy Coo. I'm not sure if they attract sillier people ...

California
reviews: 3
4. Re: Small Group tours of Scotland

Both Rabbie's and Timberbush offer excellent options. Their groups are 16 people or less. I've enjoyed both companies' day trips over the last few years.

I haven't heard of any of the companies you listed.

Driver/guides are very expensive. I usually combine them with small group touring. I use Jim Johnstone for the Highlands and Inverness areas. info@jajcd.com

I travel with John Newbigging in the Edinburgh/Glasgow area. chauffeurscotland@hotmail.com,

I once used a one day trip to travel to Inverness where we departed the tour and met up with Jim. It was cost effective and gave us a chance to see the sights along the way.

Palo Alto...
reviews: 24
5. Re: Small Group tours of Scotland

I am also interested in a small group tour of Scotland in May/June 2014. Rabbie's has been recommended by some friends. I also need to see their dates and prices for May/June 2014.

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
6. Re: Small Group tours of Scotland

For info - I'm not recommending because I have seen but never used:

http://www.thehairycoo.com/

http://www.haggisadventures.com/

The two most people have used:

http://www.timberbush-tours.co.uk/

http://rabbies.com/

2014 details unavailable? Assume similar to this year regarding dates and venues, but add maybe 5% contingency in case they bump the prices. Money being tight, I can't see them charging wads more.

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
7. Re: Small Group tours of Scotland

AFAICT, all four are rated on TA. Why not do some searches?

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 98
8. Re: Small Group tours of Scotland

Re sillier names attracting sillier people, I hope not because I'm planning to do a Hairy Coo day tour next April! ;) Here's some reviews: tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g186525…

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g186525… (not sure about the "Wild and Sexy" sub-title!)

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g186525… (very sensible looking!)

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g186525…

Some of these do longer tours as well as day tours.

California
reviews: 3
9. Re: Small Group tours of Scotland

Contact Rabbies and Timberbush via email. They most likely will send a reply and answer your questions. I know Rabbies is quite responsive.

Millersville...
10. Re: Small Group tours of Scotland

I looked into haggis adventures and they look like a fun - and young - group. Given that my husband is 64, I'm not sure that's the right group for us! I'll see what happens when the 2014 trips come out.