We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wondering if this itinerary is reasonable.

Which Scotland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
reviews: 6
Wondering if this itinerary is reasonable.

My husband and I will be in the Lake District for an event, and are planning a few days of travel after. Here is what I was thinking.

Sun - check out of hotel and go tour Hilltop. Drive through Ambleside, Grasmere and Keswick, then on to the M6 and right to Glasgow.

Mon - leave Glasgow and drive past Loch Lomand and Balmoral (I know it's not open) on our way to Alford. (My grandmother was born and raised there and it's the reason we are going to Scotland)

Tuesday - drive down to Edinburgh possible via St. Andrews.

Wednesday - see Edinburgh

Thursday - drive to Manchester (where we fly home from) via the east coast.

Friday - fly home

I realize this is a lot of driving, but we don't mind that. I also read that one of the best ways to see the country is just to drive it...so that's the plan!

Any advice (routes, what we might see on the way) would be appreciated! Thanks.

Oakham, United...
reviews: 14
1. Re: Wondering if this itinerary is reasonable.

You've got a 3 hour drive one day from Glasgow to Alford (or 4h30min via Loch lomond, without stops) , and a three hour drive the next day down to Edinburgh.. doesn't seem to me that you'll either see a lot of Alford, or enjoy the experience much, unless you really enjoy driving just for the sake of it.

It's true that you can see the country (through the windscreen) by driving, but to experience it you need to have the opportunity to get out of the car, dip your toes in a loch, spend a long lunch in a nice pub or whatever.

Oakham, United...
2. Re: Wondering if this itinerary is reasonable.

Your first day's drive is at least 3 hours, depending on where you start and where in Glasgow you finish. Allow at least four, or more, if there's heavy tourist traffic in the Lakes or if there's heavy traffic in Glasgow, plus more if you actually want to stop to eat, or look at anything.

Oakham, United...
3. Re: Wondering if this itinerary is reasonable.

Hate to monopolise the thread.. but when I think back to travellign in Scotland, the bits that stick in my memory are when we weren't driving; stopping somewhere N of Loch Lomond to let the dog & children paddle in a river for an hour, spending an hour here and an hour there. The views are great, but sitting in a car for 4 hours because you have a long way to go isn't something you look back on later and say "wow, wasn't that great"

Ontario
reviews: 6
4. Re: Wondering if this itinerary is reasonable.

Thanks for your input Martin.

I know it's not ideal, and it hopefully won't be our only visit to Scotland, but we will be so 'close' that I did not want to miss an opportunity.

We don't need long in Alford. I just want to see the house where my grandmother lived.

Is there always tourist traffic in the Lakes? We will be there later this month.

5. Re: Wondering if this itinerary is reasonable.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 10, 2014