We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sion Mills NI

Which Omagh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 12
Sion Mills NI

I am looking for relatives from this town. My great grandfather, James Quigley lived here back in the 1860's before emigrating to the US. Also had relatives with the last name of Duddy and I believe they lived on Albert Place in Sion Mills. Just wondering if there is anyone out there that remembers those names. I will be there in October and hope to find some traces of them. Thanks.

12 replies to this topic
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
reviews: 70
1. Re: Sion Mills NI

Well, the local BT phone book lists several Quigleys and Duddys still in Sion Mills with addresses and phone numbers so there are definitely still some in the area - quite likely there will be a connection somewhere.

I don't know the area well enough to know if there are any local history/genealogical groups who may be able to help but maybe someone else will know. It might also be worth considering joining or looking at some of the popular genealogical websites which connect members such as roots or ancestry.

Trust you are going to pop in to the Ulster-American Folk Park when in the area?

Comber, United...
reviews: 14
2. Re: Sion Mills NI

If you are visiting Belfast and Titanic Quarter it might be worth checking out the Public records office - www.proni.gov.uk. You may be able to find the census records showing your great grandfather and then trace the connections forward to see what ancestors are still living in the area.

Good luck!

Las Vegas, Nevada
3. Re: Sion Mills NI

I won't be going to Belfast due to a recent incident that occurred there. I am sure you heard of the murder of an innocent dog named Lennox. In his honor, I am boycotting the city of Belfast. Sorry to anyone that might offend but I have strong feelings about this.

I will try that www.proni.gov.uk website to see if I can find some information. I really appreciate the help. I really can't wait to get to Ireland. It's been a dream all my life. If you ever need information on Las Vegas...let me know!

Las Vegas, Nevada
4. Re: Sion Mills NI

I hope I will have time to visit the Park. We are driving from Dublin to Sion Mills and then on to Sligo to spend the night there. I am anticipating a 3-4 hour drive to Sion Mills? Spend a little time in the area and then head to Sligo. I think that is maybe 2 hours from Sion Mills? Looks close on the map but that could be deceiving. Any thoughts on times between them? Thank you for being so helpful.

Belfast
reviews: 28
5. Re: Sion Mills NI

It should take you about 2 hrs from Sion Mills to Sligo via the N15 .

Templepatrick...
6. Re: Sion Mills NI

My father was born in Albert Place. Paddy Duddy. He died in 1979 and his father James died when he was a boy. I think my granny was called Sarah but not sure. My uncle jim died at a young age also as did my aunt Kathleen. Gerard moved to Nottingham in the uk and I only saw him once at my granny's funeral. Not much info I'm afraid. I do remember a black and White photo of some cousins who lived in the US. Sons of a great uncle or aunt. Philadelphia or Pittsburg they lived in. I was very young so not sure. John

Lisburn, United...
reviews: 8
7. Re: Sion Mills NI

I have to say that boycotting an entire city because of its council putting down a dog is just the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard...

(And I say that as a dog-lover)

Ocean Shores...
reviews: 7
8. Re: Sion Mills NI

I have been following this story, andI have come to the conclusion that the only way to counter-act this type of extremist, is to do just the exact opposite of what they do....I will definitely be visiting Belfast, even tho it would have been more convenient to fly direct Dub-Gla. It is time to put aside this type of petty boycotting, and not harm thousands of innocent citizens in a great tourist friendly city.

Now, I could see a possible boycot of the area during the sad past days of "the troubles", but now there is no excuse not to go! It just shows the ugly state of affairs, esp. here in the States....where often time folks get more bent out of shape over the loss of animal life....than human life!

rvflyer

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
reviews: 70
9. Re: Sion Mills NI

Well said rvflyer:)

The weird thing is that we wonder at the lax laws in the US re keeping wildlife - what is it - more tigers in capativity in Florida than left in the wild or some such ridiculous statistic. If you boycotted everywhere in the world where you didn't agree with a law or decision, few of us would travel anywhere!!!

One of the things which was really troubling over the extreme reactions was that my local dog rescue centre which does an absolutely fantastic job in saving and rehoming abandoned/abused dogs was getting really nasty hate-mail and nasty online messages because someone somewhere erronously decided that Lennox was kept there. He wasn't and the poor rescue centre who work tirelessly with limited funds to save animals faced nasty stressful threats for a while....

Edited: 2:52 pm, September 27, 2012
Northern Ireland...
reviews: 48
10. Re: Sion Mills NI

I was going to give you some travel advice but I am boycotting your question due to your ridiculous views. Sorry if that offends anyone, but I just feel strongly about it.

Unbelievable.

Reply to: Sion Mills NI
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted