We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Describe the DROMORE area, County Down? Please?

Which County Down hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 73
Describe the DROMORE area, County Down? Please?

Can anyone describe the area of Dromore, County Down? It is one of 3 different areas I am considering for a 2-night stay to visit Hillsborough, Lurgan, Belfast, and the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum in Cultra.

One choice is to stay in Clanmurry, a b&b in Dromore. It sounds interesting in Alastair Sawday's guidebook. But I can't find any info on Dromore, though I see it on my map.

My main interest in visiting the surrounding area is that my beloved grandmother was born in Lurgan area, and then lived with her family in Belfast before emigrating to America. This will be one stop on our first trip to Ireland in July 2006.

Another choice is to stay in south Belfast (I am looking at Ash-Rowan Townhouse on Windsor Ave. though I haven't gotten a reply to my e-mails though.

And finally there is the choice to stay near Newtownards in a nice place called Edenvale.

After leaving the area we will have 1 night in Malahide and then we fly home from Dublin.

Thanks for any info, especially on Dromore area.

Belfast
reviews: 16
1. Re: Describe the DROMORE area, County Down? Please?

Melissa

Out of your choices I'd still go for Belfast

Dromore is a small town. It would be ok as a base for going to other places, presuming you will have a car. I wouldnt think there would not be much else to do in it though. (see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dromore,_County_Down for a bit of info about it or http://www.gcs-internet.com/dromore/)

Staying in Newtownards would probably mean travelling in through Belfast to go anywhere else.

Hillsborough (and Dromore) are basically on the way from Belfast to Lurgan.

Belfast to Lurgan is about 40mins drive. Belfast to Cultra about 20mins.

Also, Belfast to Malahide or Dublin is about 2hrs drive.

California
reviews: 73
2. Re: Describe the DROMORE area, County Down? Please?

Thanks very much, thegrant. This is my last b&b decision for our Ireland trip, then it's all booked! Yipeeee... Then I can spend time just researching the fun stuff and learning more about Ireland.

Northern Ireland
reviews: 10
3. Re: Describe the DROMORE area, County Down? Please?

I live near Dromore and there's not really a lot in it. Also if you are coming over in July you may find some of the paraphenalia intimidating or perhaps interestingly historical. I recommend staying in Hillsborough village itself rather than Dromore. While there will also be festivities and paraphenalia associated with the Orange Order marches, it's a more wealthy historic area, a quaint village with a few nice restaurants.

Remember that July 12th and 13th are national holidays here with many places closed, and Orange marches in many towns and villages - which as a tourist you can enjoy regardless of your religion. They have gone off fairly peacefully in recent years though Lurgan/Portadown is still contentious.

When in Belfast definitely check out the black taxi tours - they give you an entertainingly local perspective on The Troubles.

Northern Ireland is small, so if you are hiring a car, you can cover a lot of ground - would definitely recommend visiting the Giants Causeway, driving up from Belfast via the coast road.

You can get lots of general information on tourism and accommodation at

www.discovernorthernireland.com

www.gotobelfast.com

Enjoy your visit

Fidelma

N.Ireland
reviews: 2
4. Re: Describe the DROMORE area, County Down? Please?

If i was completely honest i would recommend visiting the village of Moira on the way to Lurgan instead of hillsborough. There are more shops to visit and alot more of an atmosphere especially on a saturday in Moira. Also take the time to maybe get some items from the famous McCartneys butchers in Moira, people travel from all over the north to get things there ive even seen coaches stop on the way through!

Madison
5. Re: Describe the DROMORE area, County Down? Please?

Hi there,

How far is the drive from Dublin Airport to Hillsborough? We are dropping off one set of travelors at the aiport at 9:00am on Monday, 4/3 and would like to drive to Hillsborough to check out Grandfathers birthplace. We would need to be back at the Dublin airport at 5:00pm. Is this doable?

Michelle

N.Ireland
reviews: 2
6. Re: Describe the DROMORE area, County Down? Please?

I would say you would need to give yourself at least 2 hours if not slightly more each way

Get answers to your questions about County Down