We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antrim Coast from Dublin

Which County Antrim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newburyport...
reviews: 10
Antrim Coast from Dublin

We are spending 6 days in Dublin, and interested in seeing some of Northern Ireland. The Antrim Coast looks spectacular!!

There is a good one-day tour from Viator which includes Carrick Rope Bridge, Bushmills Distillery, Giant's Causeway, and a photo stop at Dunluce Castle.

Was hoping to see also Mussenden Temple, or is the above a good taste?

Wondering if we should book through Viator (train from Dublin to Belfast, then coach for the coast to see above sites), or travel from Dublin to Belfast via train, tour Belfast, stay in Belfast one night, and then take a similar tour from Belfast the next AM.

Is there enough in Belfast to warrant an overnight?

Would we be best on a coach tour (with who - been looking and there are so many?) or hiring a taxi for the Antrim Coast sites we want to see?

Approx. how much would a taxi cost us (there are 2 of us)?

Coventry
1. Re: Antrim Coast from Dublin

There is enough in Belfast to warrant spending a day there and possibly an evening in one or two of the pubs, such as the John Hewitt.

I can't give guidance about the tour, but from a tourist perspective with limited time it gets in the 'essentials' of the usual itinerary, albeit the distillery is very much a tourist trap IMO.

For me, the best parts of North Antrim are Ballycastle and Rathlin Island. I'd suggest an overnight at Ballycastle Backpackers if you have the time.

Personally I think that six days in Dublin is more than enough and two or three days at most would suffice.

Northern Ireland
reviews: 13
2. Re: Antrim Coast from Dublin

Hi macdebbie

It is possible to do these sights in such a short period of time but you probably won't do them justice. The scenery along the Causeway Coastal Route is stunning and you hug the sea right from Larne to Cushendall. On a clear day you can see right across to Scotland.

If I was you I would travel up from Dublin to Belfast. There is a train at 7.35 which arrives in Belfast at 9.45 (see www.translink.co.uk and the Journey Planner for other train times)which gives you time to see Belfast and take in one of the sightseeing tours (http://www.belfastcitysightseeing.com/).

Stay overnight in Belfast and then the next day take a tour around the North Coast, again the above company, Belfast Sightseeing organise these tours. It leaves Belfast at 9.00 am returning 6.30 pm and takes in Carrickfergus Castle, Carnlough, Cushendall, Glenariffe, Cushendun, Giant's Causeway, Bushmills Distillery and Dunluce Castle. You won't take in Mussenden on this tour but will get a flavour of the rest of the Coast Road.

The best way to see it would be to hire a car from Belfast and then you could take in Mussenden (about 45 minutes from Dunluce Castle) but if this isn't an option the tour would be the next best thing.

If you need any more detail just leave another posting.

Newburyport...
reviews: 10
3. Re: Antrim Coast from Dublin

Would we be able to get a train back to Dublin at 6:30pm from Belfast?

Belfast
reviews: 77
4. Re: Antrim Coast from Dublin

The next train is at 8.10 pm from central station.An alternative would be the express buses which run every hour. The bus is especially useful for Dublin airport

5. Re: Antrim Coast from Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, October 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about County Antrim