We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Belfast

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tipperary
First time in Belfast

Me and a mate are heading to Belfast this month for the Belsonic Festival. as its my first time going can anyone recommend any good pubs, clubs, etc? also is it safe to walk most of the city being from the Republic?? cheers!!

Belfast
reviews: 16
1. Re: First time in Belfast

Belsonic is in Custom House Square which is in the city centre so there are plenty of places to drink nearby. Its safe walking around any of the usual tourist places - city centre, Botanic/Queens uni - just the usual cautions you would have visiting anywhere else. I would think there will be plenty of people from the south coming up for the concerts. Enjoy

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
reviews: 74
2. Re: First time in Belfast

is it safe to walk most of the city being from the Republic?? "

Absolutely no problem. You hear a lot of southern accents in the city centre nowadays on any weekend. Belfast is finally becoming a tourist destination and when I was in town yesterday, there were several languages being spoken which I didn't recognise and that was just in the shopping area.

Obviously avoid going out in a strongly loyalist area (like the Shankill) but that wouldn't really be on a visitor's agenda!! As the grant says, we've always had southern students at Queens so the university area is fine but you'll probably want to stay around the city centre.

The Duke of York is a good bar but totally depends what you're looking for. This link might be useful and give you an idea if any of these are your type of place..

gotobelfast.com/things-to-do/…

Edited: 1:48 pm, August 05, 2012
Tipperary
3. Re: First time in Belfast

thanks for the reply's that's good to hear i can walk around it!! are da bars in the city centre reasonable?? and can anyone tell us how ta get to the Falls Road from the city i heard that's the main Irish nationalist area of Belfast and I would like to see the murials and stuff there cheers!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
4. Re: First time in Belfast

The HOHO and black taxi bus tours cover the Falls murals (and Shankill too) but if you want to go just to the Falls, you can get a metro bus.

translink.co.uk/Timetables/…

Or if you want a republican tour of the Falls murals:

http://www.coiste.ie/tours/

If you're into Irish language, the Cultúrlann is on the Falls:

http://www.culturlann.ie/

But please try to get an even-handed approach to the Troubles and the impact on all people. We're really trying to move on up here ;)

Anyway, enjoy the concert and Belfast!

Tipperary
5. Re: First time in Belfast

thanks for that info ponaire ya i was going to go the Shankill as well to see the unionist and loyalist murials but I was told its a no go area for Catholics. Thanks I intend to!! :)

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
reviews: 28
6. Re: First time in Belfast

If you've not been to Belfast before I would stick to one of the organised tours (bus or taxi etc) to see the murals. There are local buses but if you don't know the area you might end up a bit lost, plus you might not know where to look for all the more popular murals. Also if you're on a tour how would anyone even know where you're from or what your religion is unless you publicised the facts? They wouldn't, so you'd be perfectly safe to be in/see both places. In fact hundreds of toursist, including those from the south, do it every day without anything happening to them.

That said I wouldn't hang around in the Falls or the Shankill (or any other area that's still caught up in this sectarian rubbish) late in the evening/at night - even if you're from "the right side of the community" (*shudder*) they're not exactly the classiest of places to frequent, especially when you don't know anyone.

As for being safe in the city centre, I was at Belfast Pride yesterday and I think half the people round me were from Dublin. I think you maybe have a somewhat outdated view of our city. Don't base your judgements of somewhere on what other people have told you - come and see for yourself :-) To 90% of the population, we couldn't care less if you're from Tipperary or Mars - just don't start any fights or be rude to anyone and you'll be fine, so pretty much the same as anywhere really.

As for whether it's reasonable, a pint of beer will cost you roughly £3.00-£4.50 depending whether you're frequenting a Wetherspoons or a hotel bar. Most places I've been recently have been roughly £3.80 a pint.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
7. Re: First time in Belfast

Couldn't have said it better myself Bridget:)

Belfast was busy yesterday - we watched the Pride parade on High Street and people on the HOHO bus waiting to leave on their trip once the parade was over seemed to be loving it and getting into the spirit of the occasion!

Tipperary
8. Re: First time in Belfast

thanks again for your feedback much appreciated!! one last question can anyone tell us any good bureau du change's in the city ud be robbed down here changing money and do some places take euro??

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
reviews: 28
9. Re: First time in Belfast

I don't even know where you would change money here... the post office I suppose? The main post office in Belfast is on High Street in the city centre, but there's another smaller one on Bedford Street too. To be honest I just take money out of the ATM when I go to the south, or use my credit card to pay for things. All depends on what rates and fees your bank has I suppose but I've always found I get more bang for my buck that way than exchanging actual money.

Some places do take Euros but usually only at a rate that wouldn't work out to your advantage.

Tipperary
10. Re: First time in Belfast

thanks Bridget i'll give the post office a look what time does the shops close on a Sunday??