We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling on the 12th of july

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
travelling on the 12th of july

Hi myself and family are travelling from larne to buncrana on the 12th of july hadnt really thought it through , are then any places we should avoid as we are driving.... also is it safe we are catholics although a bit niave about these things.

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
reviews: 28
1. Re: travelling on the 12th of july

I don't think your concerns should be so much about safety (no one is going to know what religion strangers inside a car may be anyway I imagine) but you might experience traffic disruption - roads tend to be closed to allow for the parades, in which case you've pretty much got to wait until they're finished before you can move on. I don't drive and tend to avoid leaving my house at all over the twelfth so I can't really advise what scale of problems you might face there, but hopefully others more familiar can advise.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
reviews: 74
2. Re: travelling on the 12th of july

The link below gives the location of the main parades so you will want to avoid these areas as much as possible.

discovernorthernireland.com/Twelfth-of-July-…

Regarding religion, no you will be absolutely fine although obviously avoid anything controversial like wearing Celtic tops which would draw attention to yourselves - and would not be recommended on 12th July. Hopefully there won't be any trouble this year (hey, if the Queen and Martin McGuinness can smile and shake hands, it really is time for everyone to move on!) but any that there is tends to be at night (fuelled by alcohol) and in flashpoint areas which you won't be anywhere near!!

I put in Larne to Buncrana on AA routeplanner and their chosen route doesn't include any towns with main parades so that is good news!

http://routes.aaireland.ie/#

That said, it is giving 2 hr 19 minutes journey time and I think that is not going to happen on 12th July as depending on your ferry time, you are almost certainly going to run into a feeder parade somewhere. You might hit it lucky and miss them but be prepared for some delays so take snacks with you also.

Edited: 3:54 pm, June 27, 2012
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
reviews: 74
3. Re: travelling on the 12th of july

crossed posts again Bridget!!

And like Bridget, it's a day in the house for springcleaning for me so I'm not even sure what time the feeder parades are likely to be at.

Belfast
reviews: 35
4. Re: travelling on the 12th of july

You will be fine, Just dont wear or display any football colours.

Traffic disruption should be minimal on this route A8/A6

Lancashire
reviews: 13
5. Re: travelling on the 12th of july

Are there any areas of Belfast city that it would be sensible to stay clear of on the 12th & can it be assumed that the city centre will be safe?

Belfast
reviews: 35
6. Re: travelling on the 12th of july

The city center is fine except for a bit of traffic disruption in the morning about 10.30 to 11.30, and again around 4 . I would stay clear of North belfast around the crumlin rd in the evening.

Northern Ireland...
reviews: 54
7. Re: travelling on the 12th of july

You'll be fine - divisions regarding parades are far more to do with national identity than mere religion. No-one will know (or care) that you are Catholics. Travel on main roads will be fine - I would imagine there will be parades in Larne. Although I'm not a big fan of them myself, I would always recommend taking in a parade to visitors, its pretty unique!

Lisburn, United...
reviews: 8
8. Re: travelling on the 12th of july

Oops, wrong post. :-)

Edited: 3:08 am, July 10, 2012
9. Re: travelling on the 12th of july

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, July 11, 2012
10. Re: travelling on the 12th of july

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, July 11, 2012