We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Learning to love Belfast

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
Learning to love Belfast

Hello!

I live near Belfast, close enough that I spend a lot of time in the city. I am a teenager, so it goes without saying that I can sometimes get bored. It's nearly the summer and I'm planning to spend it mostly in and around this magical city :)

It is a great place to shop, and I take full advantage of that; except when I'm low on pocket money etc. So here's what I'm looking for, then I'll tell you what I've thought of...

Places that don't cost a lot of money.

under-18s are allowed (I'm 15)

Preferably art/music/film related

Able to spend a lot of time there

Funny landmarks that you've discovered.

Any events throughout July/August would be most relevant, but ongoing things are appreciated too.

Also, that it isn't necessarily in the tourist brochures. I've looked in the Welcome Centre and most of the places they recommend, I've been to. I might go back again soon to see if they can help me more, though.

It'd be nice to have somewhere new to even look for; I like exploring :) Also, friendly coffee shops are always appreciated.

Here's what I've thought of so far:

Botanic Gdns, maybe a picnic

Lagan cycle path

Queen's Film Theatre

One or two art galleries

Clement's cafes (beautiful hot chocolate)

I'm keeping a journal this summer; places I've been, people I've seen...basically when I was younger I thought Northern Ireland was a total dump, now I'm just learning to love the place...some things I need a little help with :)

Thanks if you read through all that and/or are able to help.

Northern Ireland...
reviews: 48
1. Re: Learning to love Belfast

I was going to suggest Queen's Film Theatre, but you have already thought of it. Have you been on the city bus tour? Thats pretty good. Obviously the new Victoria Square center is brilliant, and there's a new cinema opening there in July.

I agree Belfast is a brilliant city these days. I'm hoping to move over full time in September.

Lancs
reviews: 58
2. Re: Learning to love Belfast

Good luck to you!

Web search or call the BBC in Belfast. They could be organising concerts from Radio 1 type through to classical. These will be free.

Belfast, United...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Learning to love Belfast

Hi there, I think you have a great idea there and good on you for your intiative and imagination!

How about a climb to the top of the Cave Hill Through the grounds of Befast Castle? At the top you can stand on McArt's Fort and contemplate the city with the awesome views from up there. It's a slightly strenuous climb in parts but there is an alternative route starting from the Upper Hightown road which has a good path all the way.

Another nice walk is along the foreshore around Hazelbank Park north of Greencastle. If you're feeling fit you can actually walk (or cycle) all the way to the city centre/Waterfont area from there.

You mentioned music as well as the Botanic Gardens and there's usualy a concert there towards the end of the summer - although it costs alas but they usually have a few excellent, high profile bands.

HTH

C

Belfast, United...
4. Re: Learning to love Belfast

Thank you!

I got together with a group of friends and they had some good ideas as well. When we got everything that we wanted to do (plus your suggestions, and some more spare time to go exploring off schedule), it's looking like we'll have a lot to get stuck into over the holidays. Potentially a few day trips up to the North Coast too, as well as Belfast/Antrim.

Again, thank you for all your help, I'm really looking forward to it :)

5. Re: Learning to love Belfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, October 01, 2009