We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Stranraer

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Queensland...
Ferry to Stranraer

Hello everyone,

Just looking to book a ferry to Stranraer on Saturday,1st September. I am looking at the 7.35am trip. Is it necessary to book a reserved seat? Doesn't really explain what the alternative is. Is there un-reserved seating, and you just have to get in early to get a seat? Would it be wise to book a seat at that time of year? Thanks for any advice!!

Chester, United...
Destination Expert
for Cheshire
1. Re: Ferry to Stranraer

Are you travelling on the Ferry (sailing time 3 hours 15 minutes) or the Stena HSS (sailing time 1 hour 45 minutes)?

Either way a seat reservation is not essential - there are lots of unreserved seats. But what does happen is that regular travellers make a beeline for the best seats and grab them quickly. There's also a restaurant where you can have a sit down meal too.

What a reserved seat does give you is a more comfortable seat in a separate lounge with complimentary snacks and teas/coffees. Very young children (under 5 I think) are not allowed in this lounge.

When MrCC and I are travelling we usually don't reserve seats. On the short sailings we'll just take our chances. On the longer sailings we usually head straight for the restaurant and linger over a meal. By the time we've finished eating and had a stroll round the ship there's usually not a problem finding a seat somewhere.

Hope this helps. Have fun.

Chester, United...
Destination Expert
for Cheshire
2. Re: Ferry to Stranraer

Oh - I've just noticed your post says you're on the 7.35am trip. That's one of the fast HSS sailings so it's only 1hour 45 minutes.

So my advice is don't book a seat. But when you board head straight for the restaurant and spend just a little more than the cost of the seat on breakfast instead.

Queensland...
3. Re: Ferry to Stranraer

Thanks for your reply CC! We're staying at Jury's Inn in Belfast the night before, and just checked and breakfast isn't included so the restaurant idea sounds good to me. Not much sense paying for seats if we're not going to be sitting in them. I'll probably want to have a wander round the ship myself for a bit of a sticky-beak! lol

Thanks again...............

Maz.

4. Re: Ferry to Stranraer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, August 27, 2009