We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland to scotland or Scotland to Ireland

Which Northern Ireland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Piedmont, South...
Ireland to scotland or Scotland to Ireland

My husband and I are considering 9 days between Ireland and scotland connecting by ferry. We love history and nature. Landsscaped beauty and culture. Not big into crowds but does not mean we will not go to a crowded place if worth it. We will be renting a car. Can fly in and out of different airports. We are looking to immerse ourselves in where we are at the time. No need for luxury, ok with hostels or quaint B&B. We love to fish and would like to have a few relaxing days. Any suggestions appreciated, I am at a loss of where to start!

Piedmont, South...
1. Re: Ireland to scotland or Scotland to Ireland

Due to children we will have to visit when my son is with his dad during summer months. we can travel june-august. Keeping in mind that we are not city or drinking people. A few shots of whiskey while taking in a view would be great, but not beer drinking party people here:)

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
reviews: 74
2. Re: Ireland to scotland or Scotland to Ireland

9 days really isn't a lot to do a self-drive within two countries. Are you thinking of Scotland and Northern Ireland? I don't think you could do Scotland and much of all Ireland. Especially if you're wanting to fish and things, it sounds like you want a pretty relaxed pace so you might be able to fit in say 5/6 days Scotland, 3/4 Northern Ireland but I would honestly be tempted to look at doing one or the other (Scotland or Ireland).

June is likely to be quieter so you're more likely to have quieter roads, better accommodation availability. July and August are peak family holiday time due to school holidays.

Can't help much on the fishing. I know around the north coast, you sometimes see people angling off some of the rocks eg at the Blue Pool in Portrush. Lough Erne/Enniskillen/Fermanagh Lakelands area would be good for angling

nidirect.gov.uk/angling-at-lower-lough-erne

Lisburn, United...
reviews: 8
3. Re: Ireland to scotland or Scotland to Ireland

Note that if you're renting the car in Scotland and dropping it off in Ireland/Northern Ireland, the cost is likely to be prohibitively high, if the rental company even allows that at all - check with them.

Actually, your wisest move would be to do a separate rental in each country and then either fly or take the ferry as a foot passenger between the two.

Piedmont, South...
4. Re: Ireland to scotland or Scotland to Ireland

yes we are thinking NI and Scottland. Renting a car in each place is a great thought. thank you. Should we do more time in NI or Scottland? Looking for some highlights, of each within our interest. Camping overnight is a option we are open to as well

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
5. Re: Ireland to scotland or Scotland to Ireland

Northern Ireland highlights:

Causeway Coastal Route. This is a drive from Belfast right through to Derry but the most scenic section is probably between Larne and Portrush/Portstewart. This includes the Glens of Antrim, Giant's Causeway (go early or late to avoid the tour buses), Carrick-a-rede rope bridge, Old Bushmills Distillery, Dunluce Castle plus loads of lovely little detours - don't miss the Tor Head Scenic Drive on a clear day. Lots of great walks and easy to escape the crowds especially in the evenings. Great beaches for walks, the likes of Glenariff Forest Park is also good for walks and coast for some angling. Games of Thrones fans will want to see the famous Dark Hedges and lovely quirky Ballintoy Harbour. Further along, Downhill Demesne, Mussenden Temple and Benevenagh are also scenic. Useful links for this area:

http://www.causewaycoastandglens.com/ (Just about everything you need to know)

www.heartofthecausewaycoastandglens.com/ (This is a brilliant concise guide)

honourableirishsociety.org.uk/go-fishing/coa…

causewaycoastandglens.com/portals/2/download…

Derry city is a small compact city with famous city walls to walk around, lots of history and you could easily spend a day or more here. A good side trip from here would be to the excellent Ulster-American Folk Park in Omagh (less than an hour's drive away).

http://www.derryvisitor.com/

The Fermanagh Lakelands area is a bit more off the beaten track than the Causeway Coastal area but has some great scenery and lakes as well as the likes of Belleek Pottery, Marble Arch Caves as well as Lusty Beg Island and the old monastic ruins on Devenish island,

http://www.fermanaghlakelands.com/

Belfast is a great city and the other big area for hikers would be the Mournes.

If car insurance and time permitted, you could venture over to Donegal, which I love but to be honest, I think that will have to wait for another trip:(

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
6. Re: Ireland to scotland or Scotland to Ireland

Just had good idea this morning as I went to the Roe Valley Country Park near Limavady (between Derry and Coleraine). This is a lovely country park - very historic - ruins of O'Cahans, the dog leap story, old mill etc but also is great for angling. There were quite a few out today along the river Roe which runs through the country park. This would be about a 35 minute drive from say Portrush - and a scenic drive for part of it too!

Piedmont, South...
7. Re: Ireland to scotland or Scotland to Ireland

Thank you so much for keeping our travels in thought!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
8. Re: Ireland to scotland or Scotland to Ireland

Here's the link

discovernorthernireland.com/Roe-Valley-Count…

9. Re: Ireland to scotland or Scotland to Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 10, 2014