We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this doable in April/May 2013

Which Northern Ireland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Johannesburg
Is this doable in April/May 2013

I would appreciate your help. Is the itinerary below doable? We (Mom and I) plan on visiting April/May 2013. Basically how i would like my day to be is to have an early walk in the morning (about 2kms) (to loosen the stiff muscles), have breakfast and then hit the road between 9-10am, spend the day as indicated below and arrive at the destination by +/- 6pm, settle in, have a glass of wine/beer to relax and then head off for dinner or pop in at a pub to listen to the music etc. There will be occasions that we would also like to take a short walk in the mountains, however the turf must be fairly level as mom has a few issues with her back and battles with anything unlevel. We come from SA so driving is not a problem as we drive the same side of the road, thank goodness!

I used aaireland.com for times and distances, which I have read is not entirely accurate and need to build in a 20% leverage. Please can you let know if the route is feasible. I wanted to do the backroads but that put an extra 3 hours driving on some days and I don't want to see Ireland in a blur, so had to take the shorter touristy routes. We are not city people when on holiday (prefer the quiet), not much into shopping, like the outdoors and enjoy the scenery and like watching day to day life happen in front of us. Would prefer staying in B&B's in villages just out of the city, if you know of any that you can refer me to it would be appreciated. (I have not looked at accomodation at the moment, so I'm flexible).I think I've covered everything. All help will be appreciated.

(I've included Ireland just for referal purposes, please ignore it as I will post it on the Ireland forum)

Day 1 – Dublin Arrive and settle in

Day 2 – Dublin – Tour Dublin with HOHO, definite see is Trinity College, Book of Kells, Stephens Green, Grafton Street, Kilmainham Gaol

Day 3 – Dublin – Take guided tour to Newgrange for guaranteed entrance

(sometime in above days would like to take a literary tour and a ghost tour of Dublin)

Day 4 – Dublin to Kildare (collect car rental at airport after 10am)

Via - Enniskerry, Powerscourt Gardens (visit), Glencree, Sally Gap, Glendalough (visit), Wicklow Gap, Old Kilcullen, Kildare

(Total 136kms, driving time est, 4 hours)

Day 5 – Kildare to Cashel

Walking Tour of Kildare, Irish Stud Farm and Japenese Gardens

Via – Rock of Cashel (visit), Cahir/Swiss Cottage (visit),

(Total 130kms, driving time est 1,30 hours)

Day 6 – Cahir to Kinsale

Cobh (visit Queenstown Story, Titanic Trail (11am tour))

Via Cork - Half day walking tour of Cork

(Total 137,57 kms, estimated driving time 2,30 hrs)

Day 7 – Kinsale to Killarney

Via Bantry, Glengariff (visit Garnish Islands), Kenmare, Killarney

(Total 140 kms, est driving time 3 hrs)

Day 8 – Killarney

Short Drive to view Molls Gap, Ladies View and Gap of Dunloe, Sheepdog demonstration, Muckross House and Gardens, Jaunting Car, Killarney National Park Walk, Ross Castle

Day 9 and Day 10 – Killarney to Dingle Peninsula to Tralee

Via – Tralee, Pass of Caher Caherconree, Inch Point, Anascaul, Dingle, Ventry, Dunbeg Fort (visit), Slea Head, Dunquin (Blasket Experience), Blasket Island, Ballyferriter, Gallarus Oratory, Kilmalkedar, Feohanagh, Brandon Creek, Mount Brandon, Connor Pass, Maherees Pensinsula

(Total kms 166.86, est travel time 4 hours)

Day 11 – Tralee to Adare

Stay at Adare Mansion and take part in Falconry, visit Adare

(Total kms 82 kms, est travel time 75 mins)

Day 12 – Adare to Galway

Via Bunratty Folk Park (visit), Cliffs of Moher (visit), The Burren

(Total kms 190 kms, total travel time 3,30 hrs)

Day 13 –Galway

Day 14 – Galway to Westport

Via Moycullen, Oughterard, Connemara National Park, Kylemore Abbey,

(Total 128 kms, travel time 2 hours)

Day 15 – Westport to Donegal

Via Castlebar, Ballysdare, Strandhill, Sligo, Rosses Point, Bundoran, Rossnowlagh, Donegal

(Total 167 kms, est driving time 2,5 hrs)

Day 16 – Donegal Peninsula

Via Killybegs, Slieve League, Glencolumbkille, Ardara

Day 17 – Ardara to Derry

Via Glenties, Letterkenny, Derry

(Total 91 kms, driving time est 2 hours)

Day 18 – Derry to Giant’s Causeway

Via Limavady, Downhill, Portstewart, Portrush, Dunluce Castle, Bushmills Dsitillery, Giants Causeway

(Total 85kms, driving time est 2hrs)

Day 19 – Giants Causeway to Belfast

Via Carrick a rede Rope Bridge, Ballycastle, The Dark Hedges, Torr Head, Cushendall, Glenariff, Glenarm, Carrickfergus, view Titanic Experience, Black Cab Tour

(Total 130 kms, est travel time 2,20 hrs)

Day 20 – Belfast to Dublin

Via Mount Stewart House and Gardens, Grey Abbey, Strangford, Castleward, Downpatrick, Newcastle, Kikeel, Dundalk, Dublin

(Total 170 kms est travel time 2,20 hrs)

Day 21 – Depart Dublin

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
reviews: 16
1. Re: Is this doable in April/May 2013

Your really need to post this in the Republic of Ireland (Eire) forum as most of the places you plan to visit are there and Eire is not part of the UK. Also, someone there will be able to advise you better on the feasibility of driving back and forth over the Eire/Ulster border with a hire car.

Edited: 11:47 am, November 05, 2012
Derry
Destination Expert
for Derry
reviews: 42
2. Re: Is this doable in April/May 2013

I don't think it's necessary to reiterate to the OP that Eire is not part of the UK.

She does acknowledge that in her post and confirms that she will post this on the Ireland forum also.

It's not unreasonable for her to expect some feedback regarding her NI itinerary.

Back to the topic Bonsiegirl - I am just looking at Days 17 -19 (Ardara to Belfast). It does seem a bit of a whirlwind to me. You could realistically travel from Ardara to Derry in the morning in around 1.5hrs. I would recommend spending at least a day in Derry - although with next year being our City of Culture year, there will be more happening than usual. I know that you seem to prefer quiet,rural landscapes whilst on holiday but Derry is a small city and compact enough to get around in a day. Depending on your budget I would recommend the Beech Hill hotel just outside the city for a treat or, if you prefer something cheaper, Caw Cottage and Troy Hall offer good B&B accommodation.

Hope this helps - hopefully Ponaire will be able to advise regarding Causeway Coast and Belfast.

Belfast
reviews: 35
3. Re: Is this doable in April/May 2013

Day 19 will be a push. it might only be 130 Kms But you will get lost in the beauty of the Antrim Coast and Glens, and that not your side trips to the dark hedges and glenarrif

I would put off your Titanic until the Morning of the 20 day and book your cabtour for 17.30

Edited: 4:24 pm, November 05, 2012
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
reviews: 74
4. Re: Is this doable in April/May 2013

Day 20 drivetime is not right. It takes about 2 hours from Belfast to Dublin airport going straight on the motorway. It takes an awful lot more to go the country route via Mountstewart, Kilkeel etc. I inputted Belfast to Dublin via Greyabbey, Downpatrick, Kilkeel and Dundalk and AA route planner is giving 4 hours 10 minutes drive time for that. Add on 10-20% and add in your time at Mountstewart and you can see how much of your day has gone.

Is Mount Stewart essential? I personally would be trying to see more of Donegal on day 17 as you are missing out on northern Donegal. If you are literally driving from Ardara to Derry to see Derry, that day works but you are missing northern Donegal. As an absolute minimum, at least make sure you stop at An Grianan Aileach at Burt (between Letterkenny and Derry) - old ringfort with amazing views on a clear day.

Day 18 is ok-ish but you will bypass Limavady. Yes, stop at Downhill for a Mussenden temple photostop. I also don't think you need to go via Portstewart or Portrush. No advantage in being there during the daytime. Head on to the Causeway Coastal area sights - you may have to wait for a Distillery tour. Try to do the Causeway early in the day or late afternoon when the daytrippers have gone. Maybe fit in Carrick-a-rede rope bridge that day. Then maybe back to Portrush for dinner at the Ramore winebar or 55 degrees north. After that walk off your dinner either by a walk around the outskirts of town (coastal walk) or nicer in my opinion would be to head to White Rocks beach or Portstewart.

Day 19 is fine but you may want to pick up on anything you haven't got done on day 18 so stay in the Portstewart/Portrush/Bushmills area. Don't forget to allow approx 2.5 hours for the Titanic so Bobby's suggestion to leave that for the morning of day 20 makes total sense. It means if there is anything you want to explore further, you can do without rushing.

If Mount Stewart is essential I would then do it after the titanic experience on day 20 BUT would forget going via Downpatrick/Kilkeel. If you want to explore greyabbey area fine, but I would then get back to Belfast and follow the motorway to Dublin. That is a long day but doable.

Edited: 2:03 am, November 06, 2012
Belfast, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: Is this doable in April/May 2013

aaireleland.com does give reasonably accurate travel times - but it does of course assume no stops along the way, which really isn't the way to tour Ireland (north or south).

6. Re: Is this doable in April/May 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 12, 2013