We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dring in January

Which Swansea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 11
Dring in January

Hi, we are an Australian family of four coming to visit in January. We are planning on hiring a car from Heathrow and driving up via Stonehenge and Bath and returning via the Cotswolds and Oxford. We are planning on getting an apartment in Swansea for a week and making some day trips by car. I am interested in going to the Brecon Beacons national parks. I am interesting in hearing your opinions on doing this given the likey weather at that time of year. Please keep in mind that we are not use to snow or icey conditions.

england
reviews: 8
1. Re: Dring in January

Where is Dring? I only read this to find out but I am no wiser now.

East Anglia
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
reviews: 51
2. Re: Dring in January

Did you mean "Driving in January". If so then here is some advice.

The weather in South Wales, as in the rest of the UK, is very unpredictable. The Beacons can have snow and ice, they can also be pleasantly cool with sunshine or rain. There is rarely much snow in the Beacons although, unusually there has snow this year in March.

Main roads are gritted (usually) if there is a forecast of icy weather. Minor roads can be left ungritted sometimes. Local radio and television (BBC breakfast) will give weather warnings and road problems.

There are some great drives through the Beacons if the weather is ok but note that in January it is likely to be dark by about 4 or 5 pm.

england
reviews: 8
3. Re: Dring in January

Sorry!! realised later that it was a typo!

Agree with Bob, no-one knows if there will be snow and ice, but we do know there is not a lot of daylight in January, 8am to 4 pm is the max daylight, and on dull days it seems a lot less. If you do get bright cold weather it is a bonus.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 11
4. Re: Dring in January

Thank you - I will plan my time around short days

5. Re: Dring in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 11, 2014