We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great British Cheese Festival

Which Cardiff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canterbury, United...
reviews: 1
Great British Cheese Festival

As a cheese lover, I'm thinking of visiting Cardiff for the cheese festival (21-22 September)! I was wondering if people think it's worth visiting, the best points of it, and if anyone knows of places cheap to stay nearby?

I'm quite excited by the sound of the cheese masterclasses!

Thanks everyone!

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria
reviews: 39
1. Re: Great British Cheese Festival

You have your dates wrong it's the following weekend 28th&29th Sept. It's a great delight for any cheese lover with over 400 cheeses on display. Not only cheese but wines, ciders, beers, country displays and foods of all sorts. The city has wide range of hotels to suit any budget, it's held within the castle in the city centre and very nearby Cathederal road has a good choice of hotels and guest houses. For those on a budget there's a "Budget Ibis" on Tyndall streett which is around a 20 min walk away from the castle. Spend a bit of time looking online at all the accomodations available near to the city centre, links below:-

www.thecheeseweb.com/british-cheese-festival

ibis.com/gb/…index.shtml

Cardiff, Wales
reviews: 35
2. Re: Great British Cheese Festival

Unfortunately the Cheese Festival is now not taking place this year. It is a great shame that it has been cancelled. I visited the first festival and the atmosphere was fantastic. I am not sure for the reasons behind the cancellation but it is hoped that the cheese festival will return in 2014. This year there will be a country fair instead www.cardiffcastle.com/content.asp…

Edited: 5:58 pm, August 05, 2013
Abergavenny, United...
reviews: 20
3. Re: Great British Cheese Festival

Aw, I was just about to wax lyrical about how great the Cheese Festival is - gutted to find out it's been cancelled.

You could always try the Abergavenny Food Festival on the 21st/22nd September

http://www.abergavennyfoodfestival.com/

It's a wider variety of foods, but there are still master classes and has a very lovely cheese and wine section! There are lots of lovely B&Bs in and around Abergavenny, but I would get booking asap if I were you, it's a popular event.

Cardiff
reviews: 13
4. Re: Great British Cheese Festival

You've just missed it this year, but next year you might try 'The Big Cheese' in Caerphilly which is easily reachable by train from Cardiff

Canterbury, United...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Great British Cheese Festival

Thanks for all your help, such a shame that it's not on this year! I shall have to search out somewhere else to get my cheese fix!

swansea
reviews: 3
6. Re: Great British Cheese Festival

Hi this advertised in Sundays paper as being held 21st and 22nd September 2013 if its cancelled why are newspapers advertising it.

swansea
reviews: 3
7. Re: Great British Cheese Festival

Hi its still on their website as taking place 28th and 29th sept 2013....

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
reviews: 52
8. Re: Great British Cheese Festival

The event on the 28th and 29th September is the Cardiff Country Fair (including a 'cheese tent' for those that really can't cope without.

The websites for the cheese festival, the country fare and the Cardiff Castle website all say that the cheese festival will become a biennial event alternating with the Country Fare. Not sure where you're seeing otherwise?

Cardiff, Wales
reviews: 35
9. Re: Great British Cheese Festival

lily1952 I don't know where you saw the ad but I would be grateful if you could be specific and tell everyone here on the forum. As a small business operator I have noticed that a lot of "freebie" magazines (eg the sort of journals you pick up in supermarkets) just "grab" info on local attractions and shove them in so that they can fill out their pages. However, they do not contact the businesses at all and throw in information which is way way out of date. No matter how much businesses update their information there will be old information out there somewhere, in the ether or on paper. The trouble is that, in my own personal experience, I get people calling me about walks that I never advertised, throwing information at me that I never published and the culprits are ALWAYS free journals!

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 18
10. Re: Great British Cheese Festival

The Caerphilly Big Cheese has no more to do with cheese than Richard Branston has to do with pickle - just sayin'