We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maenllwyd Inn

Which Caerphilly hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
reviews: 254
Maenllwyd Inn

Not been in a long while. Is the place as good as it used to be?

visitcaerphilly.com/eating/…

Do they have a proper website with menu that I can check out?

thanks!

18 replies to this topic
Abergavenny South...
reviews: 13
1. Re: Maenllwyd Inn

Haven't been to the Maenllwyd for a while, last time I went it was too crowded and noisy! I don't think they have their own website. What about the Hollybush just down the road from there? thehollybush.com/Hollybush_Draethen/images/s…

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
2. Re: Maenllwyd Inn

Hey mendip it's decades since I went to the hollybush! I have to say their vegetarian menu looks quite lush and well worth a try. I'm sold, thanks :-)

UK
reviews: 15
3. Re: Maenllwyd Inn

Went to the Maenllwyd a few months back, pretty dissapointing food and its no longer a pub you feel comfortable going to just for a drink.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
4. Re: Maenllwyd Inn

Reading the sudden influx of negative reviews of the Maenllwyd you could be forgiven for thinking someone had a grudge against them.

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 184
5. Re: Maenllwyd Inn

I ate in the Maenllwyd last week - great evening. Food was really tasty and the atmosphere was great - the palce was full (on a Thursday evening).

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 25
6. Re: Maenllwyd Inn

I had a pushbike nicked outside there once, does that count as a negative review? :D

Caerphilly, United...
reviews: 2
7. Re: Maenllwyd Inn

@lotty

You must be eating in the wrong place my friend.

The reason for the sudden influx of negative reviews is entirely justified. It;s been bought out by a big chain and completely ruined.

Once the BEST place to eat out, now, I wouldn't go there if you paid me. Trust me, I mean it.

It's very sad as it was a favourite place for my family and we used to consider it a special surprise for any visiting friends or relatives. It was like showing them that, even here in South Wales, a special place with outstanding food can be found BUT NOT ANYMORE.

I would be genuinely embarrassed to take a friend there now.

Edited: 9:41 am, July 15, 2011
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
8. Re: Maenllwyd Inn

Any signs of improvement?

Caerphilly, United...
reviews: 2
9. Re: Maenllwyd Inn

Nope, still a 'chain' style pub with no soul and no specials board. It's just full of chavs now who don't know any better.

I pass it most days so know better than anyone.

I will call in this week while it is busy just to confirm the current state and lack of decent food or guest ales etc etc.

Caerphilly
reviews: 55
10. Re: Maenllwyd Inn

I recently ate there and was hugely disappointed! I've always heard good things about it but seems to have gone downhill hugely. It's an attempt at a posh chain and fails dismally.

Reply to: Maenllwyd Inn
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Caerphilly
More Caerphilly Topics