We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying tickets online from Heathrow to Pembrokeshire.

Which Pembrokeshire hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 10
Buying tickets online from Heathrow to Pembrokeshire.

Help, I am confused by the National Rail website. I want to buy tickets from Heathrow to Haverfordwest. I am coming in to terminal one. From this terminal there are only bus options to Reading with 2 more changes. If I were coming into terminal 4 I could choose Heathrow express to Paddington to Cardiff, still 3 changes but a quicker journey with no bus. Are there no trains between the terminals? Why isn't the Paddington option available from terminal one? Any advice appreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 15
1. Re: Buying tickets online from Heathrow to Pembrokeshire.

There is no National Rail station at Heathrow airport. (National Rail) trains from the airport make their way to and from Paddington but to no other destinations (except local services on Heathrow Connect).

Unless you very much want to take the HEX or Connect to Paddington, the RailAir bus to Reading and train from there may be a much easier option.

Heathrow has Underground and rail stations at T5, T4 and Heathrow Central, serving T1 and T3. The HEX runs from T5 and Heathrow Central; Connect from T4 and Heathrow Central. HEX trains run four times an hour (and are very expensive); Connect runs twice an hour, cost a bit less, and is a slow journey on a stopping train.

Depending on when you plan to travel, some of the journey may need to be made by coach or bus because of planned works. Rail tickets go on sale about 12 weeks in advance of travel dates, so if you are looking to travel after mid June it may be too soon to book.

Check www.railair.com for more information about the RailAir coaches to and from LHR.

Cotswolds
2. Re: Buying tickets online from Heathrow to Pembrokeshire.

If you do buy tickets from Heathrow how are you going to collect them? There is nowhere at Heathrow

You need to buy tickets from Reading (or Paddington if you choose that route) and pick them up there. Buy tickets for the first leg on the day

California
3. Re: Buying tickets online from Heathrow to Pembrokeshire.

Thank you so much, things are getting clearer. I do have a friend in England and tickets will be mailed to her and she will send them on to me. I wanted to buy in advance as much as possible because it is considerably cheaper, right? ( We are traveling in Mid May.) What is the best website to buy the tickets from? If we do go into London first do trains to Wales leave from Paddington or another station or many? My husband, in particular, prefers train to bus travel (very long legs, more room on trains.) Thanks again.

Cotswolds
4. Re: Buying tickets online from Heathrow to Pembrokeshire.

The First Great Western website is as good as any - though you might have to try others if it doesn't like your credit card. The price will be the same on them all - try to find one that doesn't charge a fee. (FGW doesn't)

If you are travelling in mid may - buy now. They won't get any cheaper and may go up

Trains to Wales leave London from several stations - but if it's Haverfordwest you want Paddington is the only sensible choice.

California
5. Re: Buying tickets online from Heathrow to Pembrokeshire.

Ok, great, I'll do it. Thank you

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
reviews: 102
6. Re: Buying tickets online from Heathrow to Pembrokeshire.

The bus from Heathrow to Reading takes about 45 minutes. Whether you catch the train from Paddington or Reading make sure you have reserved seats (free if made when you book) as these trains can be very crowded. As the journey time is almost 5 hours (with a change at Swansea) remember that the last train of the day from Paddington to Haverfordwest leaves London at 19:15. When booking your seat it’s sometimes useful to know the train layout. The buffet car is in the middle of the train (usually coach E) and most trains offer a family coach (noisy with children) and a quiet coach (no music or phones allowed)

Some credit card companies wont allow the goods (your tickets) to be sent to anything except the home address. In this case you can print your tickets (you must insert the card you bought them with) in machines at railway station.

Phil

Halifax, Canada
7. Re: Buying tickets online from Heathrow to Pembrokeshire.

"In this case you can print your tickets (you must insert the card you bought them with) in machines at railway station."

What happens if something happens with your credit card between purchasing the tickets and when you go to pick them up? (ie. it gets stolen, goes missing...that sort of thing) How would you pick up the tickets?

Cotswolds
8. Re: Buying tickets online from Heathrow to Pembrokeshire.

With difficulty if at all

A ticket office <<may>> be able to help

it's <<possible>> that any card will work

Neither is guaranteed and you may land up buying a new ticket

9. Re: Buying tickets online from Heathrow to Pembrokeshire.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 am, April 11, 2013
Halifax, Canada
10. Re: Buying tickets online from Heathrow to Pembrokeshire.

Hmm, not neccesarily what I wanted to hear, dzug1, but thanks for your reply!

Get answers to your questions about Pembrokeshire