We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self drive return trip from London

Which Pembrokeshire hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
reviews: 54
Self drive return trip from London

We are spending a couple of months in London later this year (mid August to mid October) and one of the trips we would like to do is to South Wales. When I was a child we used to have holidays in Tenby and I would like to re-create some of those trips.

Is Tenby still a nice place to stay?

And what would be a nice 5 day round trip to do taking in the National Park, St Davids, Saundersfoot etc?

And could we fit in the Brecon Beacons on the way back?

Looking forward to your help

South Australia
reviews: 12
1. Re: Self drive return trip from London

www.tenbyvisitorguide.co.uk Now theres a blast from the past, 1963 for us.

Check the car rental www.auto-europe.co.uk

Routeplanners www.theaa.com

www.viamichelin.com

Edited: 1:51 am, January 13, 2012
Bucks, UK
reviews: 11
2. Re: Self drive return trip from London

Tenby is much as it has ever been, so why not go?

As to a round-trip, Pembs is small enough that you can see much of it from 2 bases, so I would spend a couple of days in Tenby and visiting Caldey Island, then move west to stay in or near St.Davids and explore that city, Melin Tregwynt, take a boat trip around Ramsay island, visit Solva, Whitesands bay, Newgale, or perhaps wander north to Newport, Pembs, the Preselis and Cilgerran.

There is a v.nice restaurant called Cwtch in St.Davids, which is just across the square from the Old Cross Hotel.

And yes you could fit in the Beacons, provided you give yourselves a whole day to get back, and get up early enough to go exploring. Carreg Cennen castle might be worth a detour

http://www.castlewales.com/carreg.html

Edited: 5:09 am, January 13, 2012
Melbourne
reviews: 54
3. Re: Self drive return trip from London

Thank you for your replies. Nurioopta, it was around 1969 when I was there last! The AA site is really good as we will be doing other tours from London. Luckily my daughter lives there and so we will have access to her car.

PoolLounger the Tenby site is great and just looking at the photos brngs back memories. I like the look of Carreg Cennen castle and will add to the itinerary.

Again, many thanks.

tenby
reviews: 2
4. Re: Self drive return trip from London

stop off at the national botantical garden of wales in carmarthenshire

http://www.gardenofwales.org.uk/

Edited: 6:46 pm, January 13, 2012
5. Re: Self drive return trip from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, February 09, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Pembrokeshire