We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Holyhead

Which Holyhead hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sunbury, PA
reviews: 6
Touring Holyhead

The train excursion we booked through Princess has been cancelled, and there are "wait lists" for all the other ship's excursions. Is it possible to find a cab or tour bus on the pier at Holyhead that would show us around?

england
reviews: 8
1. Re: Touring Holyhead

on our one day on Holyhead we walked to South Stack lighthouse and bird colony, and got a bus back,you could get a bus both ways if you dont fancy the walk Mostly, on cruises around the British Isles, we book a car and drive ourselves. Cruise excursions are too costly and too regimated for me.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
reviews: 40
2. Re: Touring Holyhead

The train station in Holyhead is adjacent to the Ferry Terminal

You could take a local train to Conwy and spend an hour or two there

http://www.conwy-wales.com/

There is a fine example of a castle, some restaurants and tea rooms.it is small enough for you not to get lost but still plenty to do for an hour or two

Train times

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

You could even take a car there but get a cost first, it is under an hour by car from Holyhead,

A local cab could take you around the local area, south stack lighthouse, Treardur Bay area .

You might have to ring for a private hire taxi, you cannot just walk up and step in like a cab

Here is a list. I haven't used them so cannot make a recommendation

thomsonlocal.com/Taxis%20%26%20Private%20Hir…

Edited: 3:06 am, July 24, 2012
Sunbury, PA
3. Re: Touring Holyhead

Thanks so much for replying. Definitely something to think about.

Sunbury, PA
4. Re: Touring Holyhead

Thanks. Good ideas.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
reviews: 16
5. Re: Touring Holyhead

Just a word of advice - you will need GBP to pay for any form of transport or food. Please do not be offended if you proffer dollars and they are refused. Taxi drivers in Holyhead have no use for dollars. I mention this because I have seen cruise passengers unable to leave the cruise port when they find that local drivers and businesses only accept sterling.

Ireland
6. Re: Touring Holyhead

Possibly this landtrain may be of interest - it does a trip along Holyhead's breakwater:

www.holyheadbreakwater.com/landtrain.htm

I second the suggestion to visit South Stack.

Unfortunately there is no longer a bus there (withdrawn 3 or 4 years ago) but it can be reached by taxi.

Holyhead has a maritime museum:

http://www.holyhead.com/sitemap/

An attraction at Amlwch, less than an hour from Holyhead is:

http://www.copperkingdom.co.uk/index.html

Bus 61 operates from Holyhead to Amlwch:

anglesey.gov.uk/bus-service-61/101900.article

Hope you have an enjoyable trip

Edited: 12:31 pm, July 26, 2012
UK
reviews: 88
7. Re: Touring Holyhead

Chesterbuff makes a very good point there about GBP,we did a cruise a couple of years ago,one of our fellow travellers was busy telling everyone in the bar the first night of how he never carried cash but always paid by card,quite funny seening him nearly get lynched at one stop when he tried to buy a cup of tea from a kiosk using it!

Shrewsbury, United...
reviews: 21
8. Re: Touring Holyhead

Just a note of caution having arrived at Holyhead from Dublin yesterday.

The train was very busy between Holhead and Llandudno junction, so get to the train as quick as you can on arriving at Holyhead to ensure you get a seat.

Sunbury, PA
9. Re: Touring Holyhead

Great advice about currency. I just ordered about 300 pounds through my bank yesterday. Should be enough to get us started.

Sunbury, PA
10. Re: Touring Holyhead

Good advice. I think we're going to take the train to Conwy and spend some time there.