We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boarding overnight ferry to Dublin at Holyhead

Which Holyhead hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ely, Cambs
reviews: 1
Boarding overnight ferry to Dublin at Holyhead

Is it possible to board the overnight ferry to Dublin some time before the actual time of departure? I'm travelling with a child so we'd need to be boarding at ten or eleven to make it work. (Actual dep time 2ish am) Looking at travelling with Stena or Irish Ferries on the Ulysses or Stena Adventurer. Thanks.

england
reviews: 8
1. Re: Boarding overnight ferry to Dublin at Holyhead

No.

She wont be in from Dublin, and when she does get in they have to unload, then get the cleaners in to sort the cabins etc.

As someone who always arrives at the port three hours in advance I can say that you will be sat in a queue until an hour or so before sailing time.

Getting there early gets you at the front of the queue but I'm not sure that that is an advantage even, as first on is last off in Dublin.

england
2. Re: Boarding overnight ferry to Dublin at Holyhead

You are doing the same trip as me, I am starting from King's Lynn.

I would urge you to do the day crossing, especially with a child, losing a night's sleep is not a good start to a holiday.

If you get an early start you can get the afternoon crossing, get out of Dublin, then geta BandB.

I would recommed Ulysses for stability, nothing much bothers her, a bad case of seasickness can mar several days.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
reviews: 64
3. Re: Boarding overnight ferry to Dublin at Holyhead

What about P&O from Liverpool (Bootle) to Dublin. There's a ferry that departs at 9pm and arrives into Dublin at 5.30am.

That's assuming you will have a car as they don't allow foot passengers on this service.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
4. Re: Boarding overnight ferry to Dublin at Holyhead

You seem to be creating problems for yourself. I'd consider flying from Stansted to Dublin

Barnstaple, United...
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
reviews: 155
5. Re: Boarding overnight ferry to Dublin at Holyhead

As the others have said you will not be able to board early - you have to queue (if you're in a car) and get on board 1hr to 30 mins before departure approx. The ferry only arrives in dock shortly before this and then all the other passengers have to disembark.

Couldn't your child sleep in the car? This is what we used to do as kids going back and forth, then we tried to get more sleep once on board.

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
reviews: 103
6. Re: Boarding overnight ferry to Dublin at Holyhead

Someone I know caught the ferry on the night that the clocks go back. They had to arrive 1 1/2 hours before departure & board, then when 1am came the clocks went back so they had a further hour to wait until it was 2am.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
reviews: 39
7. Re: Boarding overnight ferry to Dublin at Holyhead

I've only taken one overnight ferry and never again. I don't tend to get seasick easily, but my golly when I went overnight I felt so sick, I think it was because of tiredness, and a slight swell, I felt rotten, and wanted to go into a ball. So in my opinion it is better to go on a day ferry as you are not exhausted to begin with (unless you are used to been up all night long) especially with a child. What I do is break the journey up near Holyhead, and that travel from there the nex day.

england
8. Re: Boarding overnight ferry to Dublin at Holyhead

I always like to get my ferry trip over and then hole up for the night, just in case of a rough crossing.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
reviews: 39
9. Re: Boarding overnight ferry to Dublin at Holyhead

I agree with you, it's definetely good to "crash" into bed after a long day travelling.

Ely, Cambs
reviews: 1
10. Re: Boarding overnight ferry to Dublin at Holyhead

Thanks for all the info - that's all very helpful.