We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long should I loiter in HolyHead.....

Which Holyhead hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
latham
reviews: 11
How long should I loiter in HolyHead.....

Hello, I am arriving from Manchester via train to holyhead so that I can catch my ferry to dublin at 17:00.

what time do you thikn I should arrive? would it be terrible to have 4 hours to waste in holyhead on foot by the train station?

are there shops and things to see?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Manchester
reviews: 18
1. Re: How long should I loiter in HolyHead.....

I found the 20 minutes it took to park my car in long stay and get to the boat quite long enough when I took the jetcat to visit friends in Dun Laoghaire!

Cardiff, Wales
reviews: 35
2. Re: How long should I loiter in HolyHead.....

Holyhead is really a port town and not much else. Can you check out places to stop on route from where you can still get to Holyhead on time for your ferry. For example, Conwy is lovely and well worth a few hours.

England
reviews: 86
3. Re: How long should I loiter in HolyHead.....

Ditto Conwy - walk out of the station and you're immediately in the town with the castle, Telford's suspension bridge, harbour where the smallest house in the UK is, a pint in the Liverpool Arms, Plas Mawr 15th century house, excellent fish & chips sat on the harbour or Pen Y Bryn tea rooms on High Street for great Welsh Rarebit and homemade cakes. Then hop on the train to continue to Holyhead. Perfect.

latham
4. Re: How long should I loiter in HolyHead.....

HHhhmmmmm I just realized, I will have 2 huge suitcases with me.. (maximum allowed by airplanes)

WOuld there be lockers large enough at the train station in conway?

Rogerstone
reviews: 76
5. Re: How long should I loiter in HolyHead.....

I haven't seen any left luggage lockers and checking the Conwy station site it doesn't appear that there are any but check this

nationalrail.co.uk/stations/CNW/details.html

I support the other comments - Holyhead: arrive and depart fairly quickly!

latham
6. Re: How long should I loiter in HolyHead.....

well, i guess i could drag my luggage around the town, probably just going to see the castle, small house and have lunch at a pub..

is there a tourist info center at conwy?

looks like the train would be

8:30 leave halifax

12:20 arrive conwy

2pm leave conwy

3pm arrive holyhead

430pm board ferry

Cardiff, Wales
7. Re: How long should I loiter in HolyHead.....

Conwy station is very small, and I think it has barely a waiting room let alone left luggage. However, you could get advice from the tourist information centre, which is next to the castle:

www.visitconwy.org.uk/content.php…

latham
8. Re: How long should I loiter in HolyHead.....

From Conwy info center.. sure glad i am doing research!

The station here in Conwy is a small unmanned one and there are no left luggage lockers or facilities. There is, however, a private shop in the town called Conwy Visitors Centre where you can leave luggage for a small fee of £1 for each item. This is situated on Rosehill Street just a short walk from the station en route to the castle.

Can I take this opportunity to advise you that Conwy station is a request stop and not all the trains stop here. If you are travelling on one that is scheduled to stop you still have to arrange with the ticket collector on the train to have the train stopped. Likewise when you are leaving Conwy you have to flag down the scheduled train to have it stop. The nearest mainline station we have where all the trains stop is Llandudno Junction which is approximately a ten minute walk away from Conwy.

If you need any more help or information then please get back to me or call into the centre when you are in Conwy. We are situated in the castle gift shop.

Cardiff, Wales
9. Re: How long should I loiter in HolyHead.....

Wow

I am amazed that Conwy is a request stop! I know the station and it is right in the middle of the town. Last time I was there, there were enough people waiting on the platform. If they all stuck their arms out you could generate some electricity! The left luggage place they describe is VERY easy to find.

10. Re: How long should I loiter in HolyHead.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:34 am, October 20, 2009