We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cotswolds to Holyhead - Transport help needed

Which Holyhead hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
reviews: 14
Cotswolds to Holyhead - Transport help needed

My Husband and I had planned to take the full day and drive from Chipping Campden to the ferry in Holyhead on Saturday. The plan was to drop off the rental car before boarding the 6:30 pm ferry. We have now found out that the rental car must be dropped off prior to 12:00 pm.

I am thinking that a train or bus is our only option at this point. We will stilll need to drop off the car that morning before noon, but is there going to be anything worth spending our time on in Holyhead? We already have a Ferry tickets purchased.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Seattle
reviews: 6
1. Re: Cotswolds to Holyhead - Transport help needed

TravelfromSeattle: Hi, neighbor. When I visited Ireland years ago, I took the ferry to Holyhead and then had to wait a couple of hours for the train to Cardiff. It was a Sunday afternoon and there was not a whole lot to do around the train station.

But two years ago, I stayed in Llandudno, which is a resort town in North Wales not too far from the Isle of Anglesey. From there I took buses and/or trains to visit Portmeiron (if you ever saw “The Prisoner” tv show, this is where it was filmed), Chester, and Bodnant Garden and Conwy Castle. Close to Anglesey is Caernarfon Castle, which is well worth visiting. And on the Isle of Anglesey itself, you can visit Beaumaris Castle.

Here are the website links for Wales and castles in North Wales:

http://www.visitwales.co.uk/

http://www.castlewales.com/wales_n.html

And here is the website for the buses on Anglesey:

anglesey.gov.uk/english/…bustimes.htm

You can also check nationarail.co.uk for train times.

Ottawa, ON
2. Re: Cotswolds to Holyhead - Transport help needed

The train that connects to the 18:30 ferry to Dun Laoghaire leaves Crewe at 15:17, arriving Holyhead at 17:22.

To me, the logical thing would be to drive to Birmingham, dump the car, spend a few hours looking around and having lunch, then catch the 14:00 train to Crewe, connecting to the one mentioned above.

Caernarfon, United...
reviews: 4
3. Re: Cotswolds to Holyhead - Transport help needed

HI. are you dropping the car off at holyhead or in chipping? honestly there is nothing to do in Holyhead, you could wonder round either bangor or llandudno which there is a train station with direct route to holyhead and u could aslo get the number 4 bus arriva direct from bangor to holyhead. it depends what you planned on doing before bording the ferry? if u want to know further info lemme know- i live about 30-40 mins from holyhead so free to ask :o)

Conwy.North Wales
reviews: 5
4. Re: Cotswolds to Holyhead - Transport help needed

you could ask the rental company could you have the car for a few extra hours and pay a little extra.

I live in between Llandudno and Conwy, the places the previous post suggested are all great places to visit, but the time you will have for say Portmerion, Bodnant etc are not really advisable.

I would not recommend that you go any where near Birmimgham to drop your car off or travel up that way from Campden, the traffic is hell and you are sure to spend time stuck in traffic, also you are taking a chance, with little time between train arrival and ferry departure, the train/s may be delayed especially with taking connections, which may result in missing your ferry.

I should think that you are limited where you can drop off the car, without knowing it is difficult to advise.

If I was in your situation I would

contact the ferry ticket office and try to change the time of your ferry departure to suit you better, travel up the day before stay over night in Wales ( can advice on some good locations ) and then the morning after a short drive to Holyhead drop your car as planned.

If this is not possible I would pay the extra for the car rental to save you hassle and stick to you original plan

There is very little to do in Holyhead

Holyhead, United...
reviews: 12
5. Re: Cotswolds to Holyhead - Transport help needed

If you picked up your rental car at a later time in Chipping Camden it would be due back the same time at holyhead (car rental companies charge on a 24 hour basis and to have it a few hours more incurs a whole day's rental charge) Presuming the car is picked up during office hours (before 5pm?) you could return it later giving you more time to explore the lovely isle of Anglesey.

Just give the car rental company a call and expain you would like to pick up the car at a later time.

Guildford, United...
reviews: 50
6. Re: Cotswolds to Holyhead - Transport help needed

I assume that your problem is that the rental office close at 12.

A suggestion is to drop the car at Birmingham Airport (easy to find!) and then take the train from there (Birmingham International Station) to Holyhead.

Check with the company if the ferry waits if the connecting train is late.

7. Re: Cotswolds to Holyhead - Transport help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, August 12, 2009