We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road names/numbers

pembrokeshire
reviews: 20
Road names/numbers

Just wanted to check I'm not missing the' best' roads on our brief (3 days) North Wales tour? Happy to drive further if the road is more scenic. We live in Pembs and will come up the coast and then inland towards Machynlleth. Then through

Dolgellau, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Betws y Coed and to Llandudno on the A 470. Then Conwy to Abergwyngrengyn on the A55.

Then A4244 to Llanberis, A4086 / A498 to Beddgelert. Then I think A4085 towards Dolgellau again. Any suggestions for alternative routes between these places welcome. The road numbers don't sound half as wonderful as the names - the Aberglaslyn Pass sounds so much more tempting than the A498! (if I've got that right?)

Shropshire England
1. Re: Road names/numbers

Hi PembrokeshireBel

Sounds like a great route but may I suggest the A496 after A4085 as an alternative on the way back.

Your return route will bring you into Penrhyndeudraeth after Beddgelert. At the crossroads go straight ahead and then left shortly afterwards. This will lead to the toll bridge that leads to the A496.

This road will take you along the coast road with great beaches and Harlech (with it's castle) and Barmouth as stopping points and then looping back to Dolgellau. Then if you want more coastal scenery take the A493 back to Machynlleth. The whole of this section of the coast is wilder than further south and still in nth National Park

Hope this helps.

Edited: 4:57 am, October 05, 2010
Shropshire England
2. Re: Road names/numbers

OOPS

"the National Park"

pembrokeshire
reviews: 20
3. Re: Road names/numbers

thanks for that suggestion, I'll have to see how pushed we are for time - there's a lot to pack in! It's not that the route is that much longer, it's stopping to see everything along the way. Really looking forwards to it - West Wales is fabulous and I can't wait to see more of North Wales.

4. Re: Road names/numbers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 13, 2011