We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3rd Class Train end of October

Which Caernarfon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, United...
reviews: 55
3rd Class Train end of October

We have dogs and can only go 3rd class with them on the Welsh Highland Railway. Will it be miserable at 50-60 degrees weather whether it's raining/not? We plan on splitting doggy duties. Hubby and I would take turns going on first class because we also have two young children. He did kindly offer to go 3rd class all the way with the four legged but I thought it'd be unfair.

I know there are other trains with easier doggy arrangements but would like this train/route and interested in your thoughts on the 3rd class temperature issue.

I can try and find a kennel but that'd make the ride so much more...

Thx!!

Cotswolds
1. Re: 3rd Class Train end of October

I'd have thought it was a non-issue, personally, and wouldn't contemplate first class at all, particularly if it involves splitting the party.

But each to their own.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
reviews: 5
2. Re: 3rd Class Train end of October

If it's a semi-open carriage then it might be rather draughty, but the closed third-class carriages have fully glazed windows and heating.

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 55
3. Re: 3rd Class Train end of October

And we won't know until right before we board which train it will be, huh?

We don't mind splitting up really. We don't believe in having to experience things together when it comes to traveling. I rather the kids be comfy if it's cold outside. We'll see I guess. I won't try booking until I can see some sort of weather estimate although I've learned nobody (the weather folks) knows exactly what the weather will be here in the UK.

Thanks for the info!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
reviews: 5
4. Re: 3rd Class Train end of October

Email the railway and ask?

Y Felinheli, United...
reviews: 27
5. Re: 3rd Class Train end of October

We've been on the WHR many times and have always travelled in the 3rd class carriages with our children. I think there may be one or two open carriages but the majority of them are enclosed and are as good as anything you'd get in standard class on the main-line trains. If I was you I wouldn't bother paying the extra to upgrade to 1st class - particularly it if means splitting up your party. Just turn up in good time to ensure you get a seat on one of the enclosed carriages.

As for the weather, I'd come prepared for horizontal rain and gale force winds and take anything better as a bonus! (It's blue skies here at the moment, by the way)

Enjoy your trip - the views are fantastic!

Edited: 8:17 am, October 16, 2011
Scunthorpe, United...
6. Re: 3rd Class Train end of October

As far as I'm aware the open carriages are only used during the summer months.

However if in doubt email the railway and ask them.

Weather in October can be glorious...

Crewe, United...
reviews: 21
7. Re: 3rd Class Train end of October

I did the same trip this weekend. There is a carriage that used to be a first class one but has now been relegated to third. It was very comfortable with outside temperature of 13deg c. If I were you, I would just all go third class. First class has single seats facing each other then the isle in the middle sp could be tricky with children.

Islington
reviews: 3
8. Re: 3rd Class Train end of October

After two years I should imagine Keira has made the journey now!

9. Re: 3rd Class Train end of October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, October 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Caernarfon
Recent Conversations