We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon Tea with WOW factor?

Which Windsor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bath
Afternoon Tea with WOW factor?

Any recommendations for a really lovely spot for a good afternoon tea? We are celebrating and ideally would like somewhere we can sit outside maybe overlooking the river?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
reviews: 127
1. Re: Afternoon Tea with WOW factor?

How many are in your group?

Is this casual, or a more important occasion?

If you are arriving by car, the Oakley Court has a very pretty area to accommodate a group overlooking the river...

principal-hayley.com/ph-hotels/the-oakley-co…

It is, however, outside Windsor proper.

There is the RiverHouse in Eton overlooks the river, and is more central, but reviews are only OK.

Bel and the Dragon is quite nice...

http://www.belandthedragon-windsor.co.uk/

But perhaps lacks the "Wow," effect you are after?

Bath
2. Re: Afternoon Tea with WOW factor?

thanks for the info - it's a romantic occasion just the two of us (for once!)

We are staying in Windsor at the Macdonald hotel for 2 nights and do have a car.

Thanks again

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
3. Re: Afternoon Tea with WOW factor?

Not overlooking the river, but this one seems very romantic. I have not been...

afternoontea.co.uk/uk/…

Maidenhead, United...
reviews: 42
4. Re: Afternoon Tea with WOW factor?

Cliveden House may be of interest.... (approx 7 miles from Windsor). Pricey, but well worth it for a special celebration.

clivedenhouse.co.uk/restaurant/afternoon-tea…

The views are great there when sitting having afternoon tea, magnificent National Trust gardens to wander around plus you can walk down to the river.

Also, in the summer season you can actually have tea on the river Thames aboard one of their hired skippered boats (pricey). I was visiting the gardens last week and saw a couple doing just this. Cliveden Gardens and Woodlands are one of my favourite places to visit.

Can confirm, Coworth Park also do a lovely afternoon tea.

Edited: 4:47 pm, August 23, 2013
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
5. Re: Afternoon Tea with WOW factor?

Pam knows of what she speaks...Cliveden House has lovely grounds; I have walked there, but not done tea.

I notice they also have a (rather pricey) option for tea, followed by a champagne cruise of the Thames.

Let us know what you choose, and how it worked out. It would be useful in knowing what to recommend to others.

location location
Destination Expert
for Lake District
reviews: 59
6. Re: Afternoon Tea with WOW factor?

One I can recommend for the location is the hotel on Monkey Island in Bray (about 10-12 mins from Windsor). You have to park the car in the car park and walk over a footbridge to get there. The gardens are very attractive and there is a terrace to enjoy al fresco drinking /eating. There is more seating in the gardens and of course the River Thames is right there.

As I said, the location is beautiful and very quiet. On a warm sunny day it really is fantastic. However, I can't comment on the tea - I've only ever had cold refreshments there.

Google it and see what you think.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
reviews: 48
7. Re: Afternoon Tea with WOW factor?

I can also recommend

http://www.greatfosters.co.uk/ in nearby Egham.

8. Re: Afternoon Tea with WOW factor?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 26, 2014